24" span for roof sheathing over trusses

Jeff Remas

Originally posted by Jeff Remas

And does not require H Clips.

Becoming a popular product and from the inside, it looks no different than regular OSB so pay attention to the stamp on the panel when you are in the attic

http://www.huberwood.com/main.aspx?page ... lloverview

I have been seeing this for a few years. The key is the tape along the joints. I have only seen it while inspecting new constriction, I have yet to inspect a pre-owned home with it. I'm real curious to see how it performs after 5-10 years

I also discovered that many times the tape has been removed because they did not get it straight. Then they reapplied the same tape. This is a NO NO. Once the tape is pulled off it must be replaced with unused tape. It is kind of like mastic tape.

Hi,

The thing that puzzles me about this stuff - and H clips too, for that matter - is the fact that the clip fills the gap between the sheets and on this stuff the raised ribs along the edges butt up to the next sheet along the entire edge. So, when this stuff expands like any other sheet, why wouldn't you still have issues as the H clips or the ribs butt up to one another and constrain the sheets?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by hausdok

Hi,

The thing that puzzles me about this stuff - and H clips too, for that matter - is the fact that the clip fills the gap between the sheets and on this stuff the raised ribs along the edges butt up to the next sheet along the entire edge. So, when this stuff expands like any other sheet, why wouldn't you still have issues as the H clips or the ribs butt up to one another and constrain the sheets?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

With an H clip, the entire expansive force of the 4X8 sheet is concentrated on that one small spot...about 5/8" wide or less. Being softer than the metal clip, the waferboard or plywood will compress around it. I'm sure you know that the clip is there mainly to limit vertical movement as the material swells.

As for the raised center lip on this new product, I'd guess that it is somehow "sacrificial" and compresses partially or is sorta extruded into the gap above and below it. But that's just a guess. I've not see one of these joints up close after a hot, humid summer. But if you think about a "traditional" T&G waferboard roof or floor deck, the tongue is longer than the groove is deep, leaving room for expansion. Obviously, the greater gaps above and below the tongue allow for expansion. I'm assuming that the lack of H clips also is a reflection of the moisture resistance of the material from the exterior. The product obviously does not absorb much water on the exposed side. In other words, if you limit the penetration of moisture from the exterior side, the material won't expand much past the current size -- which assumes that the material is at a moisture content level consistent with ambient levels. Since these materials are typically stored in outdoor sheds, this would seem to be a safe assumption.

Is this new material OK? Time will tell. As a builder, in 25 years of experience I made it a practice to be neither the first nor the last to adopt any new product/technique proclaimed as the "next great thing." I firmly believe in letting someone else be the guinea pig. First and foremost, you have to realize that a profit motive is the primary reason for any new product...NOT the advancement of building science. Of course, I do believe in adopting "new" techniques that are proven to work...after at least a couple decades or so. After all, if building knowledge didn't evolve, we would be living in log cabins. Or perhaps caves...

• 1 year later...