How would u transition from sloped to a flat roof

qhinspect

I came across a house where the front of the house was sloped. The back part of the house was almost flat. I was wondering if you guys have any concerns about this transition or is this considered a standard practice.

Click to Enlarge
200922703335_DSC03698.jpg

94.69 KB

Click to Enlarge
200922703656_DSC03699.jpg

81.76 KB

I just don't like the thought of water entering under the roof shingles even though they appear to be secured with some type of adhesive.

I think it depends on where that TD ends under the shingles. It should overlap the ridge and then end on top of that second or third course of shingles before the last couple of courses are added on the shingled side. That way, any water pushed under the ridge will just drain out from under those top courses and onto the shingles below. That's a dumb chimney detail though; I hope they flashed that sucker correctly.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike.

Kevin,

How did you get that photo? From the neighbors balcony?

[:-smile_g

EN E VEE E R walk on a roof. You can't see anything that you can't tell from the attic.

The Esquire sez so.........

One other thing......

These suckers ice dam like crazy (but you probably already know that). The eave detail is critical; the membrane should be stripped and wrapped down behind the gutter, or some similar detail. Everyone wraps the membrane into the gutter, which will still back up water under the membrane.

Kevin,

How did you get that photo? From the neighbors balcony?

My thoughts as well.

I would think that a small parapet along the ridge might be better than the penetrations caused by nailing the shingles down over top of the membrane. I know, added cost...

Is there any water staining underneath?

I showed an owner of a well known union roofing company the pictures. He informed me from what he can see and for this application, he would considered this a standard installation.

Jeremy

Is there any water staining underneath?

There is only a small attic and not much to see. If there is ever a problem in the future, the first signs will be water stains or dripping from the ceiling.

I personally don't like the way the roof is designed. There are other houses that have the same layout yet they just extended the roof higher so there is a slope on the back side. I hope the roofing company took extra steps to reduce/prevent the chance of water seepage.