Best Products for Underlayment and Valleys

stouto

Getting ready to get a new roof and need some advice. I live in Augusta, Ga and my contractor uses 15lb felt for deck protection and 90lb roof roll for valleys. Would it be better to use GAF Shingle Mate and Weather Watch for deck protection and valleys? My contractor said that the GAF products are not needed for this area. Thanks

Getting ready to get a new roof and need some advice. I live in Augusta, Ga and my contractor uses 15lb felt for deck protection and 90lb roof roll for valleys. Would it be better to use GAF Shingle Mate and Weather Watch for deck protection and valleys? My contractor said that the GAF products are not needed for this area. Thanks

Do you get ice & snow in your area?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Do you get ice & snow in your area?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I can answer that, having grown up within 10 miles of Augusta. Snow and ice are very rare. Like once every 10 years or so. There can be freak storms, of course.

WJ

In that case, I'd tend to agree with the roofer. If he installs the roof properly, there really isn't any need for the fancy stuff under the shingles. If he doesn't install the roof properly, the fancy stuff probably wouldn't save his butt anyway.

- Jim Katen, Oregon