Wire size allowed for receptacles

I think it depends on the type of receptacle that you use. If you use receptacles with side terminals I think they'll accept 12ga fine and 14ga is the smallest allowed. If you're using those cheap receptaclss with the two stab holes on the back I don't think they'll accept anything larger than 14 ga.

I'm probably wrong though - 'lectrickcity taint my strong suit.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

What is the largest wire size that is allowed to be attached to a standard 120v. 15 amp receptacle? I am having a brain freeze right now...

The Leviton 15-amp receptacle I'm holding in my hand says nothing larger than #12 on the terminal screws and nothing larger than #14 in the Quickwire holes.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

My inspection today: Homeowner just did their own kitchen remodel. They have 8 gauge wire connected to a 20 amp breaker (converted from electric range to gas) I would have had to pull out the range to get to the 120v. receptacle, so I can't be sure what was done on the receptacle side.

I'm assuming a pigtail would be fine in the range receptacle junction box-- is that correct? (step down from 8 gauge to 12)

Since I can't get to the receptacle, and the homeowner screwed up some other stuff with the electrical system, I'm just going to have the electrician confirm that everything was done right.

My inspection today: Homeowner just did their own kitchen remodel. They have 8 gauge wire connected to a 20 amp breaker (converted from electric range to gas) I would have had to pull out the range to get to the 120v. receptacle, so I can't be sure what was done on the receptacle side.

I'm assuming a pigtail would be fine in the range receptacle junction box-- is that correct? (step down from 8 gauge to 12)

Since I can't get to the receptacle, and the homeowner screwed up some other stuff with the electrical system, I'm just going to have the electrician confirm that everything was done right.

Sounds like the safe thing to do. Anytime I run across obvious home owner electrical work (or plumbing work, for that matter), I recommend a licensed and qualified electrician be consulted to evaluate the changes/repairs.