How Many Layers

Mark P

And under all that asphalt is a layer of shake.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009418201213_How%20Many%20Layers.jpg

54.25 KB

Correction,

Don't you mean a layer of rift-cut cedar shingles? I doubt that even with that many layers that you could get a shake roof as smooth as that shown in the background. However, 50 to 60 years ago it was common to butt up over a cedar shingle roof and run asphalt.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

And under all that asphalt is a layer of shake.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009418201213_How%20Many%20Layers.jpg

54.25 KB

Correction,

Don't you mean a layer of rift-cut cedar shingles? I doubt that even with that many layers that you could get a shake roof as smooth as that shown in the background. However, 50 to 60 years ago it was common to butt up over a cedar shingle roof and run asphalt.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I'm sure you're correct Mike. Here is a pic from inside the attic.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200941994552_P1090184.jpg

43.16 KB

Yep,

Shingles. If they were shakes there'd be felt interlaced between courses. Way back when that first layer of comp was added, the roofer screwed up. He was supposed to cut away a narrow band at the perimeter of the roof and and nail a 1 by 8 around the rim so that there'd be a nice flat edge.

OT - OF!!!

M.

So how did you write this one up?

I would expressed concern about the weight of the roof being an issue. Structural Engineer too much for this????

It was several months ago. I said “Rip off all the roofing and start over. There are way too many layers of shingles on the roof. The maximum recommend layers is 2, this house has somewhere around 6, with the original wood under all of that. That is too much weight and if it has not already caused a problem (it may be why the joist have failed in the crawl,) wait till you get a good snow & ice load up there. When the roofers get everything off, have a qualified carpenter do a good inspection of all the rafters to see if any have cracked or otherwise need repaired.

This house was a POS and I did not want the - single Mom, 1st time buyer – to buy it. The realtor was on my nerves from the second she arrived. The report was brutal, and hopefully shocked some sense into the young lady. I guarantee I’ll never hear from that realtor again.

Maybe I’ll follow up with her, the buyer, this week to see what happened.