Floor joist end support

CHI2

I called this out on a new construction recently and the builder is saying that it's standard practice. Based on what I see regarding the minimum bearing of 1 1/2" on wood, I don't see how this is ok. Both floor joists were notched around seismic restraint bolts, however one did not need to be notched as the bolt was offset from the joist and the other notch left a thin portion of wood to offer support for the floor.

Am I missing something here or is the builder just sidestepping the issue?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20096243176_DSC01794.jpg

39.45 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200962431730_DSC01795.jpg

38.56 KB

I called this out on a new construction recently and the builder is saying that it's standard practice. Based on what I see regarding the minimum bearing of 1 1/2" on wood, I don't see how this is ok. Both floor joists were notched around seismic restraint bolts, however one did not need to be notched as the bolt was offset from the joist and the other notch left a thin portion of wood to offer support for the floor.

Hack work.

When faced with that problem, you set the joist where you want it to go over the bolt and whack it with a hammer to mark the bolt location. Then use a drill to bore a hole for the bolt.

That said, the silly installation in the photos probably won't ever cause a problem.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Hi,

The last one like that I saw there was about a 2-inch ledge between the sill and the inner wal of the foundationl, like it appears you have there. The builder had cut a short section of sill material about a foot long, centered it and driven it in under the joist and then held it in place with one nail up into the joist. I'd thought about it for a second and then decided that it was doing the job, met the bearing surface rule and that I had bigger fish to fry.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Sounds good to me. I would just like to hear the builder say, "Ya, know you're right". Even though the condition may suffice and won't ever cause a problem, it would be nice to have them acknowledge that it's not great rather than pooh-poohing the installation and say "standard practice". I appreciate the input.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20096243176_DSC01794.jpg

39.45Â KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200962431730_DSC01795.jpg

38.56Â KB

Sorry, I am a little late to the party.

Your are not missing any thing, that is poor workmanship, and at the very least without the 1 1/2" bearing you could have sited missing joist hangers, since without the proper bearing they are hanging off the rim joist

Also is that a bearing wall above the window, if so there should be some type of header to carry the load across the window.

What you may have missed and I cannot tell from the picture, but it appears that there is no seal sealer / termite shield under the sill plate, and here the sill plate would be treated.

have a great day

Tim