NAHB Says HR2998 Is Not The Energy Answer

hausdok

WASHINGTON, June 29

American home buyers deserve a more equitable solution than the American Clean Energy and Security Act as Congress moves to cut our nation’s energy use, says the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB).

“The hard truth is that we can’t build our way out of this problem,â€

Whew....... once again, NAHB takes the low road......

Not that I disagree with his "arguments" about existing housing, but not mandating high efficiency standards on new construction is about as backward thinking as it gets.

For chrissakes, I was building energy efficient housing in 1978-79 that exceeded these "new" standards, and it wasn't any problem whatsoever. It was easy. We were kids, we figured it out, and made money doing it.

The guy is upset because it would mean learning something new and not puking out garbage, which is what the NAHB "standards" are about.

Alright, dumb question . . .

Is this the "cap and trade" stuff that everyone's been talking about?

And, no I don't watch hardly any T.V. or spend time online (except here, really) - that' why I'm pretty much un-informed.

P.S. I have been listening to a lot of XM satellite recently - what with the newly launched Michael Jackson tribute channel . . .

Alright, dumb question . . .

P.S. I have been listening to a lot of XM satellite recently - what with the newly launched Michael Jackson tribute channel . . .

Please, don't get me started. What is it with Seattle's adoration of dead junky musicians - Hendrix, Cobain, Jackson - anyway?

OT - OF!!!

M.

Back on topic... the NAHB comments are extremely short-sighted. If we'd learned our lesson from the first 'energy crisis', we wouldn't be talking about how to retrofit the existing housing stock to use less energy.

Exactly. I continue to be dumbfounded that all the stuff we figured out in the late 70's was completely ignored and forgotten in 1982 and thereafter (until now, of course....).

Retrofitting existing housing is an extremely complicated and expensive proposition, and in many cases, not entirely possible without essentially rebuilding the house.

And, what are we really talking about? 2x6 frame walls, triple glaze windows, increased insulation amounts, and slightly different framing practices that don't add time, only a small increase in thought and planning that, once learned and adopted, don't add any cost at all.

NAHB's knee jerking response is painfully shortsighted.

What's really necessary, and completely unrealistic, would be for NAHB to retire from the field and allow civilization to rethink what housing is, and how it should be built.

The future should be in cellular concrete, of course, that won't happen until long after I'm done in this world........

What I got out of that is "Rush says protect your irreplacable files with Carbonite", and there's Tennessee lake lots available with boat slip for only $89,900.......

Was there more......(?)...... [8D]

Forget global warming and cap and trade for a while. There is the teeny tiny idea that we can reel in the lunatics that control all the world oil reserves if we begin reducing our dependence upon their oil and natural resources, and develop means for living that aren't reliant on propping up despots and loonies to keep our habitations warm.

We aren't going to drill our way out of the problems. We can think and engineer our way out of the problems, though, with a little deeper considerations than 'pubs and 'dems tit for tat political shenanigans.

Kinda simple, peaceful, smart, and uncomplicated. I'll leave cap and trade analysis to those that understand it.