Would you call it?

Robert Jones

I run into this from time to time and normally call it since the flashing should be installed below the shingle. The roof did get a "cert", whatever good that's for. The shingles are approx 15 yrs old or so and there is no evidence of leakage or damage from the poor installation of the flashing. I did mention it to my client on site. Just fishing for opinions.

PS; In that first pick, there are 2 different sections of roof, one lower than the other. The pick makes it look like the flashing was installed down the middle of the roof.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20097272101_P1030584%20(Medium).jpg

90.45 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200972721014_P1030585%20(Medium).jpg

86.35 KB

That's screwy, I'll bet they added the drip edge to cover new aluminum fascias. Around here 15 year old three tabs are almost all cooked, my own roof is 14 year old 20 year IKO's that are in dire need of replacement. What does one pay for a roof cert. and what do they get for it? From what I see, it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

Tom

I call that one also. It can entrap water and rot the edge of the roof sheathing sometimes. Now I also would explain to the buyer that it makes little sense to pay someone to fix flashing on a 15 year old 3 tab roof, to only have to rip it off in the near future and do the whole thing. The buyer is then informed and can decide what they would prefer.