Old shipworm damage?

More likely to be the powderpost beetle.

From Wiki:

Shipworms are not worms at all, but rather a group of unusual saltwater clams with very reduced shells, notorious for boring into (and eventually destroying) wooden structures that are immersed in sea water, such as piers, docks and wooden ships. Sometimes called "termites of the sea", they are marine bivalve molluscs (Eulamellibranchiata) in the family Teredinidae, also often known as Teredo Worms.

Hi, I'm thinking golden buprestid larvae damage.

I'm thinkin' you're an ass for making me google buprestid larvae.

Come on, Bro,

Ass? Is that all you've got (snicker). Ex-cop, remember. I've been called things that'd make Hitler feint.

Last Thursday's house, there was an Asian long-horned beetle on the siding. I'm still wondering whether I should have picked up the phone and called WSDA.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Come on, Bro,

Ass? Is that all you've got (snicker). Ex-cop, remember. I've been called things that'd make Hitler feint.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

"Feint"?

Don't you mean "faint"?

Unless Hitler had a boxing career I am unaware of...

I do think that you have to admire Chad's stereotypical Northeastern frugality -- at least as it applies to language. I suspect he has the fewest words-per-post average on TIJ. Compared to some of his posts, this one is positively verbose.

Come on, Bro,

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

"Feint"?

Don't you mean "faint"?

Yeah, dat won.

OT - OF!!!

M.

• 4 weeks later...

I split firewood all the time that has holes/tunnels just like those all through it. I usually find the beetle larvae at some point also, about 1/2" thick & 3" long. They look a lot like the one Mike named. (I had to google it too) The holes from these things are in the lumber before the tree even gets cut down most of the time. I'm certain none the stuff I split for firewood has ever been in the water.