Private Well standards?

msteger

Some point in the past, I had run across either a PA DEP or US EPA document listing basic requirements for private wells, such as how far away from a neighbor's property line, how far from septic systems, etc. I am trying to find it because I am trying to recall the recommended height of a well cap above grade. I seem to recall it is 12" and this is recommended to help prevent ground water and pesticides from entering the well. I can't find the info now..

Anyone have a good link(s) to provide this info? I did a 'private wells' keyword search on the PA DEP and EPA websites, but didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks.

All the wells I've seen, and owned, were regulated by the county health dept.

As I recall in general, well stems have to be >18" above grade (so flood waters can't go down the stem to the water table), >50' from any septic field, and the lot line stuff is all over the map dependent on the local requirements.

Check your local health dept.

PA does not regulate private well installations, despite many (failed) legislative attempts. Neither the PADEP nor the USEPA have the authority to regulate private wells, so there is no document listing requirements.

In PA, some counties and municipalities have ordinances restricting well locations. Check with the county's health department first. Here's the regulations for my county:

http://www.buckscounty.org/government/d ... ndRegs.pdf

I'm fairly certain Lake, DuPage and McHenry Counties require 100'.

Chicago septic fields might be different (both of 'em).

Not that we care, much. In Illinois, jftr, the seller has to pay for well & septic testing, and we HI's can't do such.

Could be....50' was from the last one I installed in Michigan.....this stuff is almost all local/county regulated, regardless of where it's at.