Algae stains on roofs

Neal Lewis

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oxygen bleach. Isn't that what SoftWashSystems.com offers?

Marc

Although I'm not totally sure about AC's soft wash system, I will say that it is not oxygenated bleach (sodium percarbonate). AC has made posts stating that his bleachwash can be mixed with the sodium hypochlorite solutions we are currently using. This tells me that the two are compatible. Oxygenated bleach and Sodium Hypochlorite on the other hand, are not compatible. Hope this helps.

Oxygen bleach. Isn't that what SoftWashSystems.com offers?

Marc

Although I'm not totally sure about AC's soft wash system, I will say that it is not oxygenated bleach (sodium percarbonate). AC has made posts stating that his bleachwash can be mixed with the sodium hypochlorite solutions we are currently using. This tells me that the two are compatible. Oxygenated bleach and Sodium Hypochlorite on the other hand, are not compatible. Hope this helps.
Thanks. AC Lockyer - RCIA vice president - replied to my Email. Oxygen bleach doesn't work well without aggressive pressure washing.

I've changed my mind about getting into this business. I don't want to pressure wash but neither do I want to release large amouints of chlorine into the environment in order to remove GCM (Gloeocapsa Magma) from a shingle roof.

Marc

Personally, I've used 'Roof Reviver' on my own shingled roof and it works very well. It's a powder product that is mixed with water and applied with a small (1~3 gallon) tank sprayer. I sprayed it on the north side of my roof (where algae likes to grow) and within about 3 months, the algae stains were gone. It takes some time as it needs to rain several times and gradually bring the product down the shingles. I recommend it when my clients ask me about the algae stains. All of my neighbors have algae on their roofs as well and several have asked me how I got rid of mine.

I would tell the insurance guy (in the OP) to get educated about the staining and that is most often is only cosmetic...then, tell him to jump off a roof.

• 2 months later...

I got a call that a buyer's insurance company has stated that the "mold" on the roof has to be removed or the insurance policy is canceled. The buyer has moved in and wants to know why I didn't know that their insurance company would require this.

Has anyone else heard of this insurance requirement?

Do you guys just report on the stains or do you recommend cleaning/removal, or what?

Would anyone wish to share their verbiage about algae stains on roofs?

Is there a way to request a different adjustor? Seems like someone is being nitpicky. Removing will shorten roof life due to accelerated granual loss. Maybe this is their goal. Should there be a claim on the roof the can say "sorry folks, too much granual loss"

I got a call that a buyer's insurance company has stated that the "mold" on the roof has to be removed or the insurance policy is canceled. The buyer has moved in and wants to know why I didn't know that their insurance company would require this.

Has anyone else heard of this insurance requirement?

Do you guys just report on the stains or do you recommend cleaning/removal, or what?

Would anyone wish to share their verbiage about algae stains on roofs?

Is there a way to request a different adjustor? Seems like someone is being nitpicky. Removing will shorten roof life due to accelerated granual loss. Maybe this is their goal. Should there be a claim on the roof the can say "sorry folks, too much granual loss"

Washing (more accurately referred to as bleaching) with a solution of sodium hypochlorite and a surfactant doesn't result in significant granule loss. Just gotta watch that chlorine so it doesn't kill off the vegetation.

Marc