Interesting "insulation"

twendorff

I did an inspection last week and when I opened the attic access panel (in the bedroom), I noticed that there was about 2"-2.5" of tarpaper (shown in the picture). When I entered the attic, there was fiberglass insulation in only about half of it.

I have never seen this before and was wondering what the history may have been???

I wrote it up as improper material and inadequate insulation.

Thoughts, ideas?

Thanks.

Click to Enlarge
tn_200998213743_SANY0742.jpg

50.76 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_200998213916_SANY0744.jpg

42.95 KB

I'm not sure what you mean by "2"-2.5" of tarpaper".

What I see in your picture reminds me of many buildings that I've inspected that originally had low-sloped roofs. After battling leaks for decades, they construct a new sloped-roof structure over the original. This creates a new attic space, with the old, built-up hot roof as the floor of the attic.

Might be. It wouldn't concern me; to inhale asbestos from that, you'd have to break off chunks, grind them up into powder and then snort the stuff. That's a lot of effort to go to in order to kill oneself. You'd probably breath more asbestos fiber driving down the interstate on a dry dusty day than you'd inhale there in 100 years.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what you mean by "2"-2.5" of tarpaper".

What I see in your picture reminds me of many buildings that I've inspected that originally had low-sloped roofs. After battling leaks for decades, they construct a new sloped-roof structure over the original. This creates a new attic space, with the old, built-up hot roof as the floor of the attic.

That was my first thought.