Michael Croman must be turning over in his grave

Inspectorjoe

Ya gotta wonder why they couldn't have found a better location for this

downspout - it does seem to be undermining a shallow footing - and why nobody

thought of moving the downspout. The fix seems to be limited to propping up the

falling tombstone. If you think Michael Croman is being dissed, think of the poor

souls whose tombstones are being used for the 'repair'!Click to Enlarge
tn_200992322145_TS1.jpg

48.3 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009923215937_TS2.jpg

46.14 KB

If I can read the numbers on the tombstone correctly he was 91 years old when he died. Very long time back then for someone who did not have all the healthy vitamins and minerals of today.

Ya gotta wonder why they couldn't have found a better location for this

downspout - it does seem to be undermining a shallow footing - and why nobody

thought of moving the downspout. The fix seems to be limited to propping up the

falling tombstone. If you think Michael Croman is being dissed, think of the poor

souls whose tombstones are being used for the 'repair'!Click to Enlarge
tn_200992322145_TS1.jpg

48.3 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2009923215937_TS2.jpg

46.14 KB

If I can read the numbers on the tombstone correctly he was 91 years old when he died. Very long time back then for someone who did not have all the healthy vitamins and minerals of today.

Yes, going by the dates of his birth and death, he would have died at 91. But it also says aged 82 or 87 or something like that,so that doesn't really make sense. Regardless, he was pretty old when he died.

I did some online research and discovered that he was a private in the Continental Army in 1775. He would have been 14 or 15 at the time. It wasn't visible in the original picture, but there's an American flag on his grave commemorating his service nearly 235 years ago. That's pretty amazing.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 1 671 (Medium).jpg

75.22 KB

What came first. The corpse or the foundation? Looks like they built the foundation after the planting.

The original church on the site was built in 1807. That church was replaced with a new one in 1859 when Michael was already in the ground. The church was remodeled in 1936. At that time, I think a bump out was added to the sanctuary, bringing that wall so close to the grave.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 1 675 (Medium).jpg

41.62 KB

Yes, going by the dates of his birth and death, he would have died at 91. But it also says aged 82 or 87 or something like that,so that doesn't really make sense. Regardless, he was pretty old when he died.

I read born September 9th, 1764, died May 25th, 1852, 87 years, 8 months and 16 days, which seems about right. He must have been a tough old bird.

I did some online research and discovered that he was a private in the Continental Army in 1775. He would have been 14 or 15 at the time.

More like 11. Could that be right?

It wasn't visible in the original picture, but there's an American flag on his grave commemorating his service nearly 235 years ago. That's pretty amazing.

Might it have been placed there by a relative? Or perhaps by a veteran's organization?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I read born September 9th, 1764, died May 25th, 1852, 87 years, 8 months and 16 days, which seems about right. He must have been a tough old bird.

Now I see it - plain as day - 1764, not 1761.

I did some online research and discovered that he was a private in the Continental Army in 1775. He would have been 14 or 15 at the time.

More like 11. Could that be right?

There were instances of very young boys serving in the military: Who was the youngest revolutionary war soldier or sailor?

As Hausdok suggested, he also could have also been a drummer boy. I don't know if a drummer boy would have been considered a Private. His company roster (page 21) lists the fifer separately. There is no mention of a drummer.

It wasn't visible in the original picture, but there's an American flag on his grave commemorating his service nearly 235 years ago. That's pretty amazing.

Might it have been placed there by a relative? Or perhaps by a veteran's organization?

Judging by the limited view of the flag holder, it was probably placed by the local V.F.W. post. Around here, on the Saturday before Memorial Day, the V.F.W. (along with with the help of Boy Scouts and others), place flags on the graves of veterans who served in wars. It's pretty amazing that ol' Michael hasn't been forgotten about after all these years.

Hey Joe. I have quite a few books, copies of manuscripts and many other documents that cover Bucks County history in great detail. My research is usually limited to the use and ownership of buildings and not genealogy, but this mystery was easy to solve.

The grave in your picture is of Michael Croman, buried at St Johns UCC in Richlandtown. The cemetery may also include members of St Johns Lutheran Church, across the street.

The Michael Croman that you state served in the Continental Army is most certainly (Michael Croman Sr.) the father of the Michael (Jr) of the marked grave.

The Michael (Sr.) that served was a Private in the Richland Company of Second Battalion of Bucks County Associators- listed 1775. He was born in Germany in 1734 and died here in 1808. He and his wife Eva Maria had 12 kids, including a son, Michael Jr. that was born in 1764. He appears to have been the oldest son.

In the Bucks County tax list of 1779, Michael Croman is listed as a Weaver in Richland Township who owned 60 acres, 1 horse and 4 cattle. This is obviously Michael Sr., not his 15 year-old son.

The reason for the Memorial Day flag on Michael Jr's grave may be because a currently living descendant claims that he stepped in at the end of the war and completed his father's term of service. There's no documentation, that I'm aware of, for this claim. It's more likely that he is being confused with his father and no one has checked any documentation or calculated his age. Maybe he served in the War of 1812?

Mystery solved! Thanks.

So dad would have been 41 when he enlisted (or was conscripted). That's getting up there in years.

Before I had an inspection there that day, I had only driven through Richlandtown. I wish I'd had more time to explore, but silly me called my wife and told her I'm on my way home just before I decided to stick around a bit and check out the town.

I especially wish I could have gone into the Richland Feed Company, an old-time business that still seems to be hanging on, but it was after 5 O'clock and they were closed. I imagine not too many businesses today leave their wares out in front of their store when they are closed. Funny thing is, the old sign is probably worth more than the fencing materials.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 1 681 (Medium).jpg

96.3 KB