on grade concrete stoops and porch slope

Bryan

I generally wouldn't cite the 2%. I would just tell them to slope it to ensure positive drainage. Hard to argue with that, but boy they sure will argue over a stupid number.

Chris, Oregon

I agree. The development was a two year old apartment complex. Each of the patio and entrance stoops were installed level and essentially even with the interior floor slab. It does not take much water to find its way back into the units, or in freezing conditions to heave the slab and create a trip hazard.

In this same area last year I saw a sidewalk heave 2 1/2 to 3 inches at the entrance to the office area. They ended up tearing it out and replacing it after everything thawed out.

Bryan

Is their a standard recommendation for the minimum amount of slope for on grade concrete porches and stoops?

Porches and stoops aren't at grade. 6" over 10' is a ADA ramp.

Chad,

Do you mean that since this is the entrance into an apartment it has to meet ADA specs in its slope?

Bryan

.................given that most concrete is impervious.

Bryan

Are you saying most concrete is water proof?

By no means; however, I believe that is is more impervious than lots of other materials. When I used to work in the green houses industry we had acres and acres of porous concrete floors. If you could keep them clean water would run right through.

Bryan

Bryan

How often do youu inspect apartments? Who is your client (the tenant)?

This was actually the third complex in six weeks. Previous to that it had been awhile due to the banking and lending issues out their.

These PCA inspections are for lenders, investors and sometimes buyers. I do them for a local company which I do other commercial work for. This one was about six hours from my base and an over night trip.

Bryan

IRC covers one & two family dwellings.

Be sure you look at correct code book for "apartments".

Good point. The numbers, however, remain the same.

The IBC says that exterior landings at doors shouldn't slope more than 1/4" per foot (2% slope). (1008.1.4)

Impervious surfaces near the building have to slope at least 2% per 1803.3.

So there really isn't any window. They should be *at* 2%.

- Jim Katen, Oregon