A question for iPod/iPhone users

I bought a iPod touch today, and while I was playing with it, I connected to an unsecured wireless signal. I used the iPod to check my e-mail, just to see if I could.

Anyhow, once I disconnected from the wireless signal, I saw that a bunch of e-mails had been saved into the iPod. I don't want the messages to be accessible if the iPod is lost or stolen, but after Googling and searching Apple's web site for 1/2 an hour, I couldn't locate any way to close the account on the phone or erase the messages.

It looks like I could erase them one by one, but I don't know if that translates into erasing the messages from the e-mail server once I'm back on-line.

Any clue?

I can tell you that erasing them from the phone has nothing to do with the server and you will still be able to download them on to your computer. I just delete them one-by-one. I think if you don't want to have the e-mail on your phone you just remove the e-mail address that you entered when you set it up. I have 3 e-mail addresses and I use the phone to check 2 of them everyday. One of those things I thought I would never do, but know I'm checking mail all the time.

I can tell you that erasing them from the phone has nothing to do with the server and you will still be able to download them on to your computer.

Actually, there is an option to "delete from server" once they download to your iphone. It in the advanced settings of the e-mail account. Not sure why you would want to do that unless your iphone/ipod was your only device.

Deleting your messages on the ipod (more than one at a time): Go to the inbox. Touch "edit" top right. You can then touch each message and it will get a check mark. Then hit "delete" at the bottom.

Those messages will still be in the trash folder. Go to that. Touch edit again and this time you will se an option to delete all. Hit that and they are gone from the Ipod.

To delete the mail account from the Ipod/phone: On the main page hit "settings". Then hit Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Touch the top box under "accounts", your e-mail address. On the next page scroll down to the bottom and you will see a big red bar with "Delete Account" in it. You do have to scroll down to see it.

BUT, rather than deleting the whole account you could just blank out your password on that same page. Then, if you do want to use it in the future, the info is still there but it will ask for a password.

You've helped me reclaim an hour or so of my life that would have been spent searching, searching, searching for that info, Rich. I didn't even realize e-mail controls were contained within the settings menu. I just did exactly what you suggested and it worked perfectly.

It isn't as if my account contains national security secrets or anything. But still, in the wrong hands . . .

I downloaded the carpenter's level app that you've mentioned here before. Very cool, but I can't imagine placing my shiny, happy new iPod on a rowlock or a course of shingles.

Thanks for the help, fellas.

I've taken my iPod touch to the local Apple store several times with questions. They're very helpful.

Since I've filled up my first generation 8 gig with music, I'm probably gonna upgrade soon. I can get virtually any CD from the area library network (50+ libraries) delivered to my hometown library. I haven't bought a CD in years. Can't argue with free music.

I downloaded the carpenter's level app that you've mentioned here before. Very cool, but I can't imagine placing my shiny, happy new iPod on a rowlock or a course of shingles.

Thanks for the help, fellas.

You need to get a case for it... I have the iPhone and it stays in it's little plastic shell of a case from Case Mate. It has a screen cover to protect the screen and a hard plastic shell. Unlike the ones that have a rubber like case the hard plastic case allows for it to slide easily into your pocket or whatever. I have had both, and I prefer the hard plastic case.

Yeah, there's already this tiny scratch on the back that's killin' me. I'll wait till after Christmas and pick up a case.

I bought the touch after playing with my friend's iPhone up in New Jersey a couple of weeks ago. I'm still figuring out, but what gobs of fun it is.

Try this, wife handed me this card to type on response [:-graduat. If you are looking to get on other folks network, they can see your stuff too. So, Password Storage and Data Vault. Keeper is the safest and mose secure way to store all of your secret passwords, notes, website logins and other top secret personal information on your PC, Mac, Linux computer and smartphones (this is you). Free to your mobile divice. Free download available at: www.callpod.com/keeper

Hope this helps.

Try this, wife handed me this card to type on response [:-graduat. If you are looking to get on other folks network, they can see your stuff too. So, Password Storage and Data Vault. Keeper is the safest and mose secure way to store all of your secret passwords, notes, website logins and other top secret personal information on your PC, Mac, Linux computer and smartphones (this is you). Free to your mobile divice. Free download available at: www.callpod.com/keeper

Hope this helps.

Thanks for looking out for me. I'll give Keeper a look.

I went for the Pod versus the Phone because ATT is horrendous around here. Their exclusivity agreement with Apple expires sometime in '10, and folks will be able to buy an iPhone from most any carrier. From what I've read, though, the other networks were designed for phones, not data transfers, so they're going to have problems, as well. The other networks have a perceived advantage over ATT now, but the gap will close once the others are saddled with the added data traffic.