Weight lost

Phillip

......... turn the soil in my early spring garden beds......................

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I've been reading a fair amount on soil/fungal relationships, and I thought the most current thinking was don't turn the soil in the fall; wait 'til Spring.

Reason being, you disturb the complex fungal interrelationships by turning the soil in the fall, and the colonies have a harder time making it through the winter.

Turning in Spring aerates the soil better; fall turning compacts down and reduces oxygen in the soil.

Well, sure, doesn't everyone know that? (Ok, except for the fungus part. I didn't know that.) When I turn the soil, I do it in spring. The trouble is that, in garden terms around here, spring starts early -- way before it's possible to turn the soil. It's a real problem for gardeners in my area. The soil just isn't "turnable" till mid June or so, any earlier and you're trying to turn gumbo.

At least, that's been my approach the last couple years. I've got a Mother Earth News from last year that outlined the fundamentals for soil development, and it was an eye opener. Lottsa new info that sez the old info was erroneous.

For the last 20 years or so, I've been practicing my own version of no-till gardening. About the only thing I till anymore is the early spring bed -- I've got that one bed ammended to the point where it's turnable in February or March if we get a dry week, just in time for peas. Aside from that, I don't turn at all. I apply massive doses of compost to the beds, lay out my drip lines and cover the beds with black plastic. The plastic & mulch will last for two seasons. When I pull it up at the beginning of the third season, the soil under the plastic is like chocolate cake while the surrounding soil is something more akin to taffy.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gumbo? You're from Oregon and you know what Gumbo is?

Marc

Pardon the thread drift. What was the original thread anyway?

To blend the threads, the last time I was in New Orleans, I ate three dinners every evening. If I lived there, I would top 400 pounds and I could easily eat myself to death.

As for Gumbo, I learned it from my wife's cousin's wife's father, Mr. Leo Lee, whose family had lived in Louisiana for as long as anyone can reckon. I learned it well and my version is as good as anything I've had in New Orleans. I haven't been as successful with other signature Louisiana dishes. I can make passable etouffees & jambalayas but they don't come close to the real thing. And as for bread pudding -- one of my favorite foods on earth -- I can't come anywhere close to reproducing the stuff that I've had in Louisiana. Real bread pudding that's dense, but not heavy, sweet, but not too sweet, and that has flavors that roll around on your tongue like leaves in the wind. . .

Damn, I think I just gained another 5 pounds writing this post.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Original quote by Kurt:

The real question is.....

Do you suck the heads? (crawfish that is.......)

Lots of French-Canadians here suck the crawfish heads but not I. I'm one of the few conservative ones. Just don't get between me and my hog head cheese.

Marc

Original quote by Kurt:

The real question is.....

Do you suck the heads? (crawfish that is.......)

Lots of French-Canadians here suck the crawfish heads but not I. I'm one of the few conservative ones. Just don't get between me and my hog head cheese.

Marc

Ca c' est bon

The fat in the head holds lots of spicy flavor. Use your pinky nail to scoop the fat and suck the rest. Suckin on the heads is about the only time I want a beer.

I started college in LA and worked out of Baton Rouge for a few years. The best food was always to be found at a hole in the wall. Had a blast in NO yesterday.

the tall child is my niece from Vienna. The little one is my littlest

Click to Enlarge
tn_20101503723_P1000673.jpg

18.49 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20101503921_P1000690.jpg

15.82 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20101504013_P1000706.jpg

21.19 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20101504040_P1000708.jpg

8.01 KB

I did not do as good for this week as I had hoped for.

I guess it did not help eating and drinking a large amount last night watching Alabama beat Texas for the championship at one of the local bars.

I only dropped 3 lbs. I got to do better. I eat too much when work is slow.