Looking for Laundry ideas

Wayne Gardner

I have a homeowner who lives in one of those 3 story townhomes. The laundry is on the 3rd floor. This homeowner has already had 1 nightmare water problem as a result of the water heater, also located on the 3rd floor. We're trying to be proactive regarding the laundry.

As is typical, the builder did not install any pan/drain system. The oversized washer/dryer (stacked) fill the small closet completely. You have just enough room to reach your hand in to work the fan switch. Of course, none of the plumbing/electrical/venting components are visible or accessible.

Besides the pan/drain, we're looking for ideas. The back side of the laundry closet is adjacent to a bedroom closet. One thought I had was creating an access panel from this closet to provide some access behind the washer/dryer and at least allow the water to be turned off when needed.

Looking forward to your feedback. Thank you.

Wayne G

There are a couple of manufacturers of automatic shut off valves for washing machines.

Here's one: http://www.watts.com/pro/divisions/wate ... liflow.asp

Thank you Neal. I've read/heard about those. With the leak sensor attached, sounds like the bases are pretty well covered. I will pass the link on to my home owner.

Wayne G

Are those appliances installed so tightly in that closet that the clothes dryer vent can't be accessed for regular cleaning?

They are...as usual. That's part of the reason I was thinking an access panel would be nice but there is no really good solution here. I think it was a small miracle they ever got them in there. Getting them out to perform maintenance will never happen. To complicate it even more, the dryer vents to the roof above, where you can't even monitor the exhaust cover for signs of trouble.

Wayne G

thread drift ....

Are those appliances installed so tightly in that closet that the clothes dryer vent can't be accessed for regular cleaning?

I've been in my house for 20 years --- The flex vent has never been cleaned. I replaced it once when we moved the washer / dryer to the basement, and I replaced it again when we replaced the dryer.

("clean the vent?" he asked sheepishly)

Replace the stackable with one of these:

http://www.lgwasherdryer.com/combos/wm3431hw.htm

Add a shelf for soap and such. She'll have a space to fold, and she'll be able to reach over the thing to get to the shut offs.

Tom

Gee Tom,

I dunno. I might recommend one of those things to my ex-wife but I don't know that I'd want to take a chance on having one with my current wife. She hates to iron; and clothes come out of those condensing dryers looking like they've been in the bottom of the hamper for two weeks.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

They do have their limitations, but they were specifically designed for applications where space is at a premium like small yachts and high end RVs. Cramming a stackable unit into a linnen closet qualifies as close quarters.

There is always the option of relocating the laundry to the basement, but having to cart the stuff to and from the third floor would suck. If they must go in the basement then I'd suggest installing multiple machines to limit the number of trips. My baby brother has spent the last six or seven years living on the road and has become so accustomed to the weekly trip to the laundromat that he is building his basement laundry room to handle two washers and driers. All the comforts of the road conveniently located at home.

Tom