Roof ventilation

Originally posted by valdav

I recently inspected a home built in 2003. The owner is having roof vents leaking around the flashing. I informed him that is was likely the flashing did not have roofing tar between the vent and sheathing. What do you think? Valdav

I think that the roofer didn't lap his materials properly and I know he didn't offset his courses properly.

Did the owner do this job himself?

Vent jacks don't need tar.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

The downslope side of that vent in picture 1 looks like it is under the shingles. It should have been over the shingles. In picture 2 it looks like most of the vent was installed over the shingless at most areas except where it was suppose to.

The roof and vents do not appear to be properly installed. I also didn't see any felt paper.

I'd note all the discrepancies and recommend a competent roofer replace this mess.

Donald

I agree, only an amateur passing himself off as an experienced roofer would course a roof like that and that vent should be under and over those shingles so that it is in constant drainage plane. Hope this house isn't part of a subdivision where the same roofer did all of the houses. If so, the builder can kiss his rep goodbye.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Thanks to all for your opinions(facts). The vent is actually over the shingles at its bottom base. Owner states the vent didn't start leaking until after the last hurricane. The shingles above the vent are in excellent condition. I thought that it was possible the winds which came from the hurricane pulled the vent up slightly off the sheathing and this was causing the leaks. Thanks again for your assistance. Valdav

Hi Crusty,

Your picture didn't post because you probably left a space in the file name where the % sign is. Go to that directory on your computer, right-click the file name, choose rename, and then rewrite the name of the file without any spaces. Then, go back to your post, click on the edit icon, delete the attachment that doesn't work and try again - this time making sure to use the one without the spaces in the file name.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Originally posted by Bruce Thomas

Plastic roofing cement is only for screw-ups and to seal the top of counter flashing into the chimney.

Amen brother, except I personally would use something else for the chimney. In my climate it dries and starts cracking in less than a year sometimes, two if you're lucky. Once you put that crap on you have to maintain it. Polyurethane or high-grade silicone will last far, far longer.