Any concern here.....

Here's a better picture:

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010225224315_chim2.jpg

41.1 KB

I thought you all might get a kick out of it. The house on the left was probably built in the 40's. I inspected the one on the right built in 2007.

I don't think I've ever run into this before on an adjoining house. When they build the new house, are they then required to build more than 10' away from the chimney?

The Realtor kept asking me, "well, is this a real concern, or just a technicality?" He's actually a very reputable guy who just didn't seem to grasp the safety concern. I told him that if there was a flue fire, there's a good chance this house could catch on fire. To make matters worse, my client's nursery is going to be in the bedroom where I took the above picture from.

Bill & John,

Thanks, it's been a while since I've actually read the code cite for this. I just assumed the 3-2-10 rule was for it's own structure, and was being kind of a smar a$$ with my title.

Of course, I didn't need a code cite to write this up and tell my clients that there's a better than average chance that the home they are purchasing has a better than average chance of catching fire.

What's the difference between that chimney and, say, an exhaust vent for a direct-vent fireplace below that window on this same house? There's a lot of air between those two buildings. Is it an ideal situation? No, but I don't think it's a dangerous situation. I may be wrong, but I don't think you'll find a prohibition for that in any code anywhere? I also don't think a chimney fire will be able to reach that house.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I may be wrong, but I don't think you'll find a prohibition for that in any code anywhere? I also don't think a chimney fire will be able to reach that house.

Hi Mike,

Let's say that the 2 houses were combined-- say the structure on the right was an addition. Why would the building code suddenly disallow this installation if it were not an issue?

I would be more concerned about fumes and/or smoke entering the window than fire. I doubt that the guy on the left would enjoy the look of an extra 10 feet or so of chimney, even if it was paid for.

We discussed this concern as well. My recommendation was that they should offer to pay the next door neighbor to install a gas log set in the fireplace. With the creosote build up I could see at the top of the flue, I know they use it to heat the house, so they probably won't go for it.

The clients said they may just pay for an annual chimney sweep for them.