Reversed polarity Outlets

motown1435

I inspected a 1981 year old house today and found that most all the 3 prong bedroom , living room and bathroom outlets were hot neutral reversed. Tested the outlets using a Ideal SureTest circuit tester. [ FOR YOUR INFO: The service panel had a plumbing ground.

I know hot neutral isn't correct, this would be a defect (Safety Issue) correct?? Just a bad electrician, or what?? Any thoughts

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010341146_DSC05174.jpg

17.3 KBThanks

Safety defect for sure. You do understand why it is a safety concern don't you? (I read the post over at IN).

Bad electrician? I doubt it, but it's entirely possible. My guess is that someone replaced receptacle outlets at some point and had no clue.

Thanks for the info (Understand completely)

This might be a little obvious but, only one receptacle in the circuit is likely reversed. Every receptacle down stream of it would be reverse polarity if they were wired correctly. If all the receptacles were reverse polarity I would blame the electrician, but since some of them are correct I think you have a few receptacles close to the upstream end of the circuits that were replaced and reversed.

Tom

This might be a little obvious but, only one receptacle in the circuit is likely reversed. Every receptacle down stream of it would be reverse polarity if they were wired correctly. If all the receptacles were reverse polarity I would blame the electrician, but since some of them are correct I think you have a few receptacles close to the upstream end of the circuits that were replaced and reversed.

Tom

Right, Tom. Even if they were all wired backwards, only the first receptacle in each chain needs to be reversed to correct all those downstream, electrically that is. The hot wire could still be white though, which is wrong, so it's still best to get an electrician in there and check 'em all.