Deadbeats!

In several years of Home Inspecting, I have been stiffed only twice for payment. This is very upsetting even at those numbers.

Generally, I get paid at the door. In the case of an absent, out of area buyer I will accept a mailed payment upon delivery of the report. This is further compounded by the fact that I do much more work for an absent client, more details and more photo's, etc.

What is your experience with collection strategy, This has nothing to do with the report itself, these are people who have backed out of the purchase because of the report.

Thanks for your insight!

One good reason I take credit cards, it leave little to no excuse for not being able to pay.

With an out of state buyer like that, it will be almost impossible to make them pay. Now if you had a signed contract with verbaige that says they agree to pay you and you have good contact information you might be able to pay a collection company to go after them. Bottom line is that it will most likely cost you more money to collect than it is really worth.

What Scott said.

It's rare, but I have been stiffed maybe twice. I usually wear slow pay people out until they're happy to pay just so I'll go away. But, I'm pretty much to the point: "No check - No report." Unfortunately, the value of a product in hand goes down pretty quickly and folks become less and less excited about parting with their money.

The cheapest way to run cards is PayPal - no monthly fee, but a higher transaction fee, so you only pay if you process a card. It sure beats $15.00 or more per month.

One deadbeat early on. Now, I'll do the inspection on a signed inspection agreement but no report until payment is in hand. Bad checks (I've had a couple) would go immediately to the county attorney if the client doesn't make them good.

BUT, my bad checks have been stupid reasons. Hubby wrote me a check on the bank where they were moving from on the same day wife closed the account to drive here for the last time, etc.

Stiffed once from an out of state buyer who backed out of the deal. She stiffed everyone: me, a mold testing company, termite guy.

I don't worry about not getting paid. 1 person in 5 years is good odds. I figure if they have been aproved for a house loan, they are good for it. I'll do an inspection and report without payment. I'll send an invoive along with the report. I do sometimes have remind them a 2nd time. Since I started taking credit card / paypal on my website I have to send less follow up e-mail's reminding them I have not been paid.

I guess I am just a little "old-fashioned" about collecting before delivery of product. I am a trustworthy person, sometimes too much so.... Guess it goes with running a business.

I am getting to the point where I will start accepting CC's, just more convenient and less worries. Maybe I could charge more as people are not scraping for that additional fee associated with buying a home?

Appreciate all of your input!

Randy

I guess I am just a little "old-fashioned" about collecting before delivery of product. I am a trustworthy person, sometimes too much so.... Guess it goes with running a business.

I am getting to the point where I will start accepting CC's, just more convenient and less worries. Maybe I could charge more as people are not scraping for that additional fee associated with buying a home?

Appreciate all of your input!

Randy

Although the cc companies frown on a service charge for the use of a card, many merchants do so in the way of a convenience fee. I add an $8 convenience fee to the price of the inspection for all cards that I take. Heck, my city water department charges a convenience fee of $7.50 if you pay with a debit or credit card.

I look at it this way; if the cc company gets mad at me for doing this I will just go back to cash and checks! It's worked well for me for about the past 10 years. Just don't advertise it!