Richard Moore

What is this in the first two photos?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010314235849_0005.jpg

12.19 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201031423598_2004.jpg

20.16 KB

I'll take "whole house fan", "powered attic ventilator", or any combination of those.

OK. I know. That was easy! Now try this,

In this situation, what is its purpose?

Click to Enlarge
tn_20103150159_0064.jpg

40.21 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20103150232_2005.jpg

27.45 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010315032_0004.jpg

42.79 KB

Don't expect grades on this one. I have no idea.

Final question. Name this roofing material. Hint..."Toast" is not acceptable even if true.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20103150711_0001.jpg

55.08 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20103150742_0015.jpg

53.77 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010315087_0003.jpg

57.22 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20103150820_0007.jpg

75.93 KB

Final question. Name this roofing material. Hint..."Toast" is not acceptable even if true.

Those used to be Cemwood Shakes.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thanks Jim. I see that there was a class action settlement (2000 & 2003) regarding Cemwood shakes. Evidently you can still make new claims up until 2/7/2015. I'll pass that on to the client, but its not clear if it would help a new owner.

This $500,000+ 1967 bank-owned home had 15 offers (things looking up?). Great view property. The house is solid and dry (despite the roof) but basically hasn't been touched or upgraded inside since new. Typical 60's...plain ugly.

Location, location, and, in this case, only location.

Ha!

xxxx - xxxxx Ave. xx, Bellevue.

I was there on the 6th for a fellow. Did a pre-offer consultation for him. Don't know if he made an offer after that or not. I suspect that the fan was to keep the barbeque smoke from wafting into the house when they were outside grilling on the deck.

Are you sure they're Cemwood.

From up close, it looked like a really badly neglected Monier tile roof that all off the moss was tearing up. There's no doubt it's gotta go, but Rich is right, it's got solid bones and the electro-mechanical has been upgraded and isn't too old.

It's perfectly positioned for a premier view of Seattle and the Olympics.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Hi Mike,

I xxx'd out the address. Client confidentiality and all that. But, yeah, same place.

Funny, I also had a previous appointment for a pre-offer on this same house, yet another different client. They cancelled as they didn't think the bank would care about removing contingencies. Did you notice a partition wall will have to be removed to change out the 14½ year old water heater?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201031535138_0074.jpg

36.49 KB

I took a look at online photos of the Monier and Cemwood. Different patterns. I think Jim has it right. I'm not going to be too specific...probably state that they MAY be Cemwood. BTW, the moss may have contributed but the damage seemed more like spalling from trapped moisture freezing. Doesn't really matter at this point. It's FUBAR!

Nope,

They weren't woodruf; I'm intimately familiar with that crap.

It had a solid deck. Wish it had been decked with skip; then I could have looked at the underside of the tile for a name. It really doesn't make any difference what they are; the roof is toast and has to go - knowing the brand name isn't going to change that one iota.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 1 month later...