Dust Tape covering main lugs

Mark P

I would not touch it. I would be worried that the tape could be electrically conductive. Or that I might accidentially touch a live metal part behind the tape.

That area of the panel would *always* be live, even with the main breaker off. The safe way to remove the tape would be to call the electric company, have them pull the meter to disconnect power, remove the tape, then reinstall the meter.

If there is a way to do something with the power off, then that is the best way to go.

I would guess that someone placed that there because it is always live and so they would not accidentially touch it while adding a new breaker or whatever. I should think wide electrical tape would have been a better choice...

Yeah,

Probably not a good idea to touch it. Electricity doesn't care who or who it zaps.

Below is a photo of a couple of dudes down in Dallas who were trying to steal copper cable from a conduit. Note the tin snips on the ground near one's leg. There is a set of bolt cutters out of frame to the right. This one is mild. The others are closeups and are a lot more graphic. Yikes!

WARNING: Disturbing graphic content! DON'T click to enlarge this if you just ate!

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010318133346_Zap.jpg

109.63 KB

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Mmm,

According to the email sent to me with that, it was about 13,000 volts. The other pictures are a lot harder to look at. They were trying to get the copper and in the process of pulling a live cable out of a conduit when they fried themselves.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike