I don't get it

Jeff Beck

Friday's inspection, $1.35M, 4 year old McMansion.

I realize that I'm not an architect or a structural engineer but I can usually figure things out but this beats me. Why would you build in something like this?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010321171421_DSCF0034.jpg

80.61 KB

It doesn't seem to serve any purpose and had to cost more to side than covering it over.

Does anyone have an explanation?

Jeff

I see flashing running from the top of the trim going to the right. My guess, and it's just that, is that this used to be a fairly standard dining room(?) bump-out and the second story was later added (or modified) flush with the bump-out wall. Is the whole house 4 years old or was it a major re-model/addition to an older existing home?

Either that or covered ski storage!

I really have no idea. [:-propell

It's a poorly thought out change in design. Richard spotted the odd casing with drip cap on top, now look at the bottom. The bump out overhangs the foundation on the window wall by several inches and by a foot or more on the goofy alcove side. It was drawn as a little bump, but it festered into a big ugly boil.

Tom

I see flashing running from the top of the trim going to the right. My guess, and it's just that, is that this used to be a fairly standard dining room(?) bump-out and the second story was later added (or modified) flush with the bump-out wall. Is the whole house 4 years old or was it a major re-model/addition to an older existing home?

Either that or covered ski storage!

I really have no idea. [:-propell

The second story originally had an overhang at the right half. The lower part of the right half of the picture was added later.

The guy doing the work didn't want to strip off the siding above or to the side of that area to get the drainage plane right, so he installed that piece of drip cap flashing (above the fourth course of siding over the windows) and returned the bumpout to the wall under the overhang.

The foundation is a little weird on the right. It looks almost like painted boards on a frame. What did that look like under there?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

• 1 month later...

Wow, it sure looks like somebody tried really hard to screw up. You know it took somebody several hours to do that. I've seen some weird things, but I really hope there's a good technical explanation for it. I want to believe that its the result of the addition but I can also believe that somebody goofed up.