Radon Monitor, what do you use?

barlyhop

One of my Sun Nuclear 1027's may have just died. I am sending it in for troubleshooting. In the worst case scenario I may elect to replace it. I have been happy with the monitor and it's ease of operation. It does have a high variable of plus or minus 1 pCi/l. The cost of the new Sun Nuclear is $800 which they have stated is only better in the reporting area of the product compared to the predecessors.

Looking for input on preferred monitors from all of you seasoned inspectors.

Thanks

Hey John, what went wrong with your monitor and what was the turn-around time on it?

My most recent test printed out with mostly all 4.0's, a few 8.0's and in the middle of the test I had a 552, 712 and some other erroneous number. The average was stated at 30.6

Glad I have a back-up monitor.

Randy

Hey Les, yes, that is what the 1027 manual states

It also states US EPA accepted, so I am ok with this. I have never cross-referenced with the Mitigators test results or any other, but that may be something that I will have to do.

I have the same concerns as you do regarding the accuracy.

Randy

Randy,

I posted before my complete thought made it to my fingers! imagine that.

It was your use of "and" that I was picky about; I don't think it is 25% and 1pCi/l, rather the greater of the two choices.

I have several 1027's and even one 1025! good devices as long as a person understands what the whole process is about. After making 10's of thousands of dollars from radon screenings, I remain unconvinced the protocol is correct.

Hey John, what went wrong with your monitor and what was the turn-around time on it?

My most recent test printed out with mostly all 4.0's, a few 8.0's and in the middle of the test I had a 552, 712 and some other erroneous number. The average was stated at 30.6

Glad I have a back-up monitor.

Randy

I bought 3 used 1027's from a retired inspector. He threw in a 4th non-functioning unit. It was not registering at all. I sent it in along with a functioning unit. The turn around time was normal as they describe on their site. 30 days total, out my door and back in my door, all shipping time included.