siding identification help

edteach

I am having a bit of trouble identifing a lap siding product. I think it is either abitibi or masonite but not sure and the ink mard is almost unreadable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010412131236_DSCN1114.jpg

95.16 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010412131321_DSCN1116.jpg

12.15 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010412131355_DSCN1117.jpg

11.06 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010412131433_DSCN1115.jpg

25.62 KB

photo of the face, I called LP and sent them the photos and they said it was abtco/abitibi It looks a lot like the backing and dot matrix writing from that company on their class action web site. They are still open on the class action and I have the forms to fill out. I wish it was readable. And it takes 3 months to get a settlement

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010412202837_DSCN1119.jpg

52.26 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010412202934_DSCN1118.jpg

29.39 KB

I agree, I have no idea why any contractor or home owner or for that mater any inspector would pass this crap as legal. It is a good poster for why lobbyists should be illegal. My neighbor who is construction challenged who has the exact same siding as my said he did not know about vinyl. Really? you mean the stuff that has been up on mobil homes for 25 years and is like new? But you like the crap falling of your home.

photo of the face, I called LP and sent them the photos and they said it was abtco/abitibi It looks a lot like the backing and dot matrix writing from that company on their class action web site. They are still open on the class action and I have the forms to fill out. I wish it was readable. And it takes 3 months to get a settlement. . .

From the pictures you posted, it looks more like Masonite than Abitibi.

Masonite was the one that used dot matrix printing.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Its a press board used in many things, depending on the resin used. LP stlll makes this same crap called smart siding.

Not really. LP's product is oriented strand board. It's a completely different animal from the hardboard product in your picture.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I have done a lot of research, here is a photo taken at my local lowes and this product is LP smart siding,, So the myth that only masonite makes that type of board with the waffeling and fiber is not true. The texture is not exact but it is the closest thing I have seen. And if you look at the page here with the link supplied from the Abtico/abtco class action claims page you will see the same dot matrix writing, my writing is just not that pronounced. http://www.abtcoclaims.com/product_id_A ... codes.html

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010413102337_Lowes1.jpg

61.76 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010413102414_lowes3.jpg

30.52 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201041310251_lowes4.jpg

25.3 KB

. . . I have done a lot of research, here is a photo taken at my local lowes and this product is LP smart siding,,

Sort of, but not really. I know that LP has started marketing it as Smartside Foundation Series siding, but the stuff in your picture is really Abtico. LP just bought the line and eliminated the name.

Real LP Smartside is still an OSB product. Always has been.

So the myth that only masonite makes that type of board with the waffeling and fiber is not true.

What myth is that? No one here ever said that.

The texture is not exact but it is the closest thing I have seen. And if you look at the page here with the link supplied from the Abtico/abtco class action claims page you will see the same dot matrix writing, my writing is just not that pronounced. http://www.abtcoclaims.com/product_id_A ... codes.html

Could be. But to my eye it looks more like Masonite's writing and texture. Why not pull off a few more boards to find one that's legible?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Its a press board used in many things, depending on the resin used. LP stlll makes this same crap called smart siding.

Not really. LP's product is oriented strand board. It's a completely different animal from the hardboard product in your picture.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I just got off the phone with Randy Macie from LP and he said that they still produce fiber board exactly as it looks in my photos and OSB smart board under the brand name SMART siding. I was told that what I saw and photographed at lowes is a current product. I also found that there are still law suits agianst this product "smart siding" I have been told by three techs at LP that this is Abtico that they are 99.9% sure. If you look at the web site I posted abtico used the dot matrix in that form for their markings.

Here is the kicker I do not understand, in Kansas Wichita metor area and sourunding subs, 90% of homes have this crap on them. and they act like vinyl siding is some type of garbage. I have worked in Florida, Michigan, Arkansas and other parts of the country and vinly works. The salt in the wound is that cost of hardiboard is 86 cents a SF and the louisiana pacific fiberboard is 1.06 a SF, I have installed both and they both cut with a carbide blade. They paint the same and I have no idea why anyone would put on fiber board even if it was half price not to mention more! Kansas is full of crazy things and people.

• 2 years later...

Is there a cut off year for products shipped from lumber yards for lp?

Would a year built 2003 have this product on it considering the recall shut off tiem for lawsuit was 2003?

L-P never stopped making OSB siding; they simply changed the formulation. The lawsuits covered products produced from about 1985 to 1995 and 1996 to 2000.

L-P SmartSide and SmartPanel is still being installed by some builders around here and I've inspected a fair amount of it that was installed as a replacement product for InnerSeal under the class action terms and I'm not seeing any failures with properly installed products. The additional wax and borate in the formulation seems to have done the trick.

Vinyl siding looks fine when it's installed by a pro who makes it look better than it is; but my guess is that is probably less than 10% of vinyl siding installers, 'cuz I only see about 1 in 10 vinyl siding installs where the contractor has properly flashed the product and carefully followed the guidelines of the Vinyl Siding Institute.

It looks like the vinyl siding installation business is really easy to get into if you don't know anything about anything, haven't figured out how to install a saw blade in the right direction and want to get into your own business really really cheaply.

Currently, the James Hardie fiber-cement products are king around here in our damp climate.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Is this the same as T1-11?

T1-11 is a pattern designation for the reversed board on batten pattern of APA 303 plywoods. APA applies the term equally to plywood, OSB or any wood-based structural panel product using that pattern, including any fiber-cement panels that present the same appearance (The "Fiber" in fiber-cement siding is wood).

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Is this the same as T1-11?

T1-11 is a pattern designation for the reversed board on batten pattern of APA 303 plywoods. APA applies the term equally to plywood, OSB or any wood-based structural panel product using that pattern, including any fiber-cement panels that present the same appearance (The "Fiber" in fiber-cement siding is wood).

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I've never seen any but the plywood type. Is the OSB treated or coated?