Apollo Hydro Heat water hammer issue?

statick1

Hi there,

I just bought a house that has an Apollo Hydroheat system. The unit is about 10 years old. Any time we use hot water, there is a very loud "water hammer" sound in the pipes, specifically, right near the water heater itself. I tried to drain the system of any calcium buildup, but when I tried to drain it, I was only to get about a gallon of water out of it. I was told that I need to get an expansion tank to stop the noise.

Does anyone think and expansion tank will help? Or is the water heater getting to old and need to be replaced?

Any help would be great.

Hi there,

I just bought a house that has an Apollo Hydroheat system. The unit is about 10 years old. Any time we use hot water, there is a very loud "water hammer" sound in the pipes, specifically, right near the water heater itself. I tried to drain the system of any calcium buildup, but when I tried to drain it, I was only to get about a gallon of water out of it.

Huh? Where are you draining it from? Why are you only getting a gallon. Something doesn't make sense here.

I was told that I need to get an expansion tank to stop the noise.

It might help but, typically, if you're having problems with water hammer, you put a water hammer arrestor at the end of the run, near the fixture that you're opening and closing when the water hammer occurs. Are you sure it's water hammer and not a fluttering valve somewhere?

Does anyone think and expansion tank will help? Or is the water heater getting to old and need to be replaced?

Water hammer has nothing to do with the age of the water heater. You'll need to replace the water heater when it stops heating the water or when it starts to leak.

- Jim Katen, Oregon