Weed be gone

"Weed Burners" have enough oomph (that's the technical word, look it up) to "burn" the weeds or grass that touch the bottom wires so the owner doesn't have to worry too much about vegetation grounding the fence, rendering it ineffective.

Three things to consider when choosing a charger:

voltage, amps and "on" time. Fence chargers pulse current, they're not on continuously. Most chargers are rated in Joules but that's a misleading number because low voltage, low amperage and long on time is an ineffective fence but will still yield a high Joule rating. What matters the most is amps. If you get a high voltage, high amperage charger with a very, very short duration it'll control just about anything and will almost keep the weeds and grass at bay. I say almost because eventually there'll be enough vegetation against the bottom of the fence to short it out in wet conditions. You always end up mowing the fence line.

If you're ever bored and you know someone who has goats, hang some tin foil on the fence. The goats will sniff it.

"Weed Burners" have enough oomph (that's the technical word, look it up) to "burn" the weeds or grass that touch the bottom wires so the owner doesn't have to worry too much about vegetation grounding the fence, rendering it ineffective.

Three things to consider when choosing a charger:

voltage, amps and "on" time. Fence chargers pulse current, they're not on continuously. Most chargers are rated in Joules but that's a misleading number because low voltage, low amperage and long on time is an ineffective fence but will still yield a high Joule rating. What matters the most is amps. If you get a high voltage, high amperage charger with a very, very short duration it'll control just about anything and will almost keep the weeds and grass at bay. I say almost because eventually there'll be enough vegetation against the bottom of the fence to short it out in wet conditions. You always end up mowing the fence line.

If you're ever bored and you know someone who has goats, hang some tin foil on the fence. The goats will sniff it.

But Chad, what about my dog? I don't want him bar-b-qued![;)]

Marc

Those things are just like a livestock electric fence. Do not try to pee on wire or fence, it is a very enlightening experience.

First hand experiance Scott? [:-eyebrow

Yes, that was one of the ways my son would initiate house guests to the farm, "Betchya can't pee on that barbed wire". I sure hope sterility isn't a side affect. [:-taped]

Actually, I got lit one time myself mowing the lawn, when I brushed up against it and found my hands rythmically clinching the handles of the mower. It took a split second to figure out what was going on.

I was about 8 or 9 when the Lango brothers, both at least 2 years older than I was and hell bent on beating me to a pulp, chased me off of Higgin's Knoll and right into a tangle of jumbled up wire hooked up to an electric fence. For about the 5 or 6 minutes it took me to extricate myself, those two bastards lay there rolling on the ground with laughter as I was shocked every couple of seconds.

Very painful experience.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I was about 8 or 9 when the Lango brothers, both at least 2 years older than I was and hell bent on beating me to a pulp, chased me off of Higgin's Knoll and right into a tangle of jumbled up wire hooked up to an electric fence. For about the 5 or 6 minutes it took me to extricate myself, those two bastards lay there rolling on the ground with laughter as I was shocked every couple of seconds.

Very painful experience.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

It was easy to find fun things to do in those days, eh? [:)]

What's surprising is, nobody died. They say 100 milliamps can stop your heart. Now they tell me! [:)]

"It's not the voltage but the current that kills. People have been killed by 100 volts AC in the home and with as little as 42 volts DC. The real measure of a shock's intensity lies in the amount of current (in milliamperes) forced through the body. Any electrical device used on a house wiring circuit can, under certain conditions, transmit a fatal amount of current.

Currents between 100 and 200 milliamperes (0.1 ampere and 0.2 ampere) are fatal. Anything in the neighborhood of 10 milliamperes (0.01) is capable of producing painful to severe shock."

If you've ever stood in salt water while messing with 12 volt battery terminals in a boat, you know that even 12 volts can pack a wallop. Lots of amps in a car battery.