Wiring a lighted switch

unclepine

Need help with this. I have a small transformer to power 3x120v puck lights with 20watt bulbs. I want to wire in a small lighted switch to control power to same. The switch in question is rated at 15amps/120volts. It has 3 spade connectors on it, 2 for power in and out, and one for the small lamp I guess. How do I wire this up correctly...? Have chk'd the web, but most if not all show this set up for 12V automotive applications... :-(

Need help with this. I have a small transformer to power 3x120v puck lights with 20watt bulbs. I want to wire in a small lighted switch to control power to same. The switch in question is rated at 15amps/120volts. It has 3 spade connectors on it, 2 for power in and out, and one for the small lamp I guess. How do I wire this up correctly...? Have chk'd the web, but most if not all show this set up for 12V automotive applications... :-(

Lighted switch. Spade connectors. Small transformer. Puck lights.

Are you sure you've got the voltages right unclepine? Terry, wouldn't this be a 12VAC undercabinet light circuit that our new member is talking about?

Marc

Need help with this. I have a small transformer to power 3x120v puck lights with 20watt bulbs.

Why do you need a transformer for 120v puck lights?

I want to wire in a small lighted switch to control power to same. The switch in question is rated at 15amps/120volts. It has 3 spade connectors on it, 2 for power in and out, and one for the small lamp I guess. How do I wire this up correctly...? Have chk'd the web, but most if not all show this set up for 12V automotive applications... :-(

Lighted switch? Do you mean an indicator or pilot switch, that is, a switch that lights up when the load is either on or off?

Spade connectors? Most 120-volt light switches for use in houses have screw terminals, not spade connectors.

Switches with three terminals are usually three-way swiches.

Indicator switches come in two flavors - lit when on or lit when off. They both have only two terminals plus a grounding terminal.

No one here can answer your question till we know what you've really got and what you're trying to do.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Providing electrical wiring advice on the internet, without a full tilt PowerPoint presentation and an additional chapter on safety, isn't possible.

While I heartily encourage folks to DIY, I think it's incumbent on the original poster to do a lot of their own homework so they can provide specific and accurate descriptions and a full photolog of components so we know what they're talking about.

Which usually means they've figured it out and don't need our advice.

Honest, you really need to back up a bit; you're jumping the gun here.

Usually such puck lights come with a "touch sensitive" pad that provides a few light levels and on/off.

If you are using a transformer you are stepping down/changing power from wall receptacle to an acceptable voltage for the puck lights.

Link below is one such package from a big box store.

Below cabinet puck lights w/switch

Sorry guys, I think in my zeal to do all things mechanical, electrical, etc., etc., I sometimes get way too involved and like to design things taht are out of the ordinary...! The lights in question are 12v items powered from the step down transformer. The item from Heepo is almost exactly what I am using, but I gathered the parts up from stops at the Habitat Re-Store. I do a lot of woodworking, model building, airbrushing, sign making, and building electronic gadgets. I built my own 80 jar rotating model paint tumbler from old copier gears, belts, and motors. I sort of work from the angle of "jack of all trades"...master of a few, if you will...! Like one of the chaps said, i will eventually figure it out, and I did...DIDN'T use that switch. It was overkill. What do I need a pilot light for in the tiny switch, when the puck lights themselves will tell me the display cabinet lighta are on...DUHHH...!

Anyway, I REALLY appreciate the thoughts provided, and will set myself up with a camera and such so as to provide pics along with my enquires. Just hope I haven't peed anyone off with my somewhat back door approach to what seems like a great forum.

Thanks for Reading,

Laurie in Winnipeg...bbbrrrrrrrr...it's coming...!