workmanship?

Jerry Lozier

10 year old roof in high wind area, said it was put on by licensed ? roofer... roofer globbed mastic around roof vents, plumbing penetrations, painted some kind of semi flexible sealer in valleys (said to prevent wind from blowing them off.... roofer who put it on came back out today and said thats the way it is done), upside down field vent (said it came like that from factory that way.... he really did say that), various repaired areas (from wind blowing off??), several areas with missing shingles, lots of exposed nail heads pulling thru.

I told them substandard workmanship at minimum, that stuff is not needed if roof is put on correctly the first time (and there are high wind precautions they can make when installing) and no way I would ok the roof, Recommend they take it down to sheathing and start over, by a different roofer, and/or at minimum a different roofer repair areas and give a 10 year cert.

Granted it may not affect the life, but I'm not willing to make the call...

What say you????

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P9070038.JPG

72.78 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201098193921_P9070040.jpg

66 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P9070041.JPG

84.18 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201098194116_P9070044.jpg

77.95 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201098194140_P9070046.jpg

65.63 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_20109819424_P9070047.jpg

69.36 KB

roofer who put it on came back out today and said thats the way it is done), upside down field vent (said it came like that from factory that way.... he really did say that)

Yeah, but if he'd turned his truck around, it would have been right side up. He just wasn't thinkin that day. [:)]

NO, he jut put it on the wrong side of the ridge. That vent is for the other side of the roof (any body have a three stooges icon?)

Armed with your Report and Pictures, you might suggest that the home owner contact the manufacturer and distributor, to inform them of the scumbag that they are allowing to buy and install their product. The home owners may get some relief (new shingles, labor cost) for helping kick this guy off the approved installers list.

Ezra Malernee

Canton, Ohio

Armed with your Report and Pictures, you might suggest that the home owner contact the manufacturer and distributor, to inform them of the scumbag that they are allowing to buy and install their product. The home owners may get some relief (new shingles, labor cost) for helping kick this guy off the approved installers list.

Hi Ezra,

While that would be great, I don't see it happening in the real world; it's all about making a buck. The manufacturer will sell to anyone that will buy from them. I highly doubt this roofer is on a preferred vendor list.