Help with A coil size/condensor match

fyrmnk

Hi all, just want to make sure I am reading this right. Had 2004 Lennox Heat Pump Model #10HPB48-11P, which I take is a 4T unit?

It had a C33-60D-2F-1 A-coil which I take as a 5T coil if I read Lennox's website correctly. Can anyone confirm this? I'm calling it out since it's a heat pump, I believe they should be exact. Thanks, Kevin

Some coils will accept a variety of pistons for downsizing the tonnage to whatever condenser capacity you've got outside.

An oversized indoor coil, for a heat pump in cool mode, will likely result in bubbles in the liquid line as well as reduced cooling and other issues. With practice, you can feel the bubbles in the line, if there's no sight gauge installed.

Marc

An oversized indoor coil, for a heat pump in cool mode, will likely result in bubbles in the liquid line

It won't affect the liquid line however the superheat will most likely be to high.

It was wise to recommend calling a contractor to take a look at it. You'd really need gauges and temperature probes to see how it functions in the real world.

An oversized indoor coil, for a heat pump in cool mode, will likely result in bubbles in the liquid line

It won't affect the liquid line however the superheat will most likely be to high.

It was wise to recommend calling a contractor to take a look at it. You'd really need gauges and temperature probes to see how it functions in the real world.

Totally in agreement, but wouldn't the condenser have to be overcharged to make a system like that function correctly?

Totally in agreement, but wouldn't the condenser have to be overcharged to make a system like that function correctly?

Playing it out - you would think but to how much I couldn't guess. If your superheat was in line then the head pressure would be too high and the sub-cooling to low (over-charged). If the head pressure was ok, and the sub-cooling was ok then the superheat would be high (under-charged).

An evap that is 1 ton bigger than the rest of the system is really stretching it. If, as Marc said, you changed the piston/TXV (you could split the difference) then you maybe able to dial it in where it would be passable however very unorthodox and not recommended. Seeing as so many new techs cut their teeth in the residential market it would surely throw them for a loop either way.

I did finally reach someone at Lennox, they confirmed it is not allowed and the A coil and Heat Pump have to be sized the same, at least on that one. Thanks Kevin

Also, be sure to check the actual coil. I've seen Lennox installations where the outer coil housing was labeled 5 ton and the actual coil inside the housing was, in fact, 4-ton.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I did finally reach someone at Lennox, they confirmed it is not allowed and the A coil and Heat Pump have to be sized the same, at least on that one. Thanks Kevin

Also, be sure to check the actual coil. I've seen Lennox installations where the outer coil housing was labeled 5 ton and the actual coil inside the housing was, in fact, 4-ton.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Just curious, how do you determine that without disassembly? Even with disassembly, is there another label on the coil itself? Thanks, Kevin

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Just curious, how do you determine that without disassembly? Even with disassembly, is there another label on the coil itself? Thanks, Kevin

That's the problem. You can't tell unless you disassemble it. Sometimes that's easy to do in the context of a home inspection and sometimes it's nearly impossible. Just be aware of the possibility when you write your recommendation. I got caught on that years ago. Now, when I write up a situation like that, when I can't get to the actual coil, I say so.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

- Jim Katen, Oregon

That's the problem. You can't tell unless you disassemble it. Sometimes that's easy to do in the context of a home inspection and sometimes it's nearly impossible. Just be aware of the possibility when you write your recommendation. I got caught on that years ago. Now, when I write up a situation like that, when I can't get to the actual coil, I say so.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

That makes sense, thanks for the clarification. I just advised what the sizes appeared to be based on the manufacturer's spec plates. I also emailed them also about what the rep at Lennox told me the next day. Thanks again. Kevin