Can Freeze/Thaw Warp Lintels

Max Air

Doing an inspection for a commercial building in Chicago area and have a question regarding warping of the lintels. While doing the inspection I noted the lintels are corroded at areas and have warping along the front edge. There really isn't a lot of brick/mortar damage, but the warping is pretty obvious. There are no weeps above the lintels but I'm pretty sure they flashed the window openings. Building was built around '86-'87 and windows are original. There is flashing at foundation walls and between cmu walls and brick veneer so I would think they flashed above the windows. Material above the lintels is mortar that has been painted (it's not sealant). The openings range from 7.5' to 17.5' in width but the warping was at pretty much every opening.

I've never seen consistent warping throughout the length of a lintel quite like this. I usually see deflection that is generally greatest at the center of the span. There is obviously some expansion from corrosion, but is it possible that freeze/thaw on top of the lintel would cause warping like this or is it just from corrosion? Thanks for any input.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011114171412_DSC00058.jpg

48.66 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSC00078.JPG

117.54 KB

Terry are we gonna keep this avatar for a while, or do we need to get you some help?[:-dev3]

I'm way past help Tom. I saw redemption in my rearview mirror about 500 miles back that-a-way.

On a side note Iron Fireman was built here in Cleveland for a spell. I remember passing the factory, with my father, from time to time. It's a neat logo.

There really isn't a lot of brick/mortar damage, but the warping is pretty obvious.... ...I've never seen consistent warping throughout the length of a lintel quite like this. I usually see deflection that is generally greatest at the center of the span. There is obviously some expansion from corrosion, but is it possible that freeze/thaw on top of the lintel would cause warping like this or is it just from corrosion? Thanks for any input.

Could it be plate steel hung from I-Beams? We used to work with that detail all the time on commercial work and schools. If so, a connecting plate would be welded to the hung-plate and the bottom flange of the beam every 16" O. C. to make installing masonry easy. The plate would be down approximately one to two courses of brick from the beam, again to make installing the masonry easy. The real tip-off will be that the plate won't bear into the masonry - the beam will two courses of brick above, so the plate will be obviously hanging. You'd have to look close, though because the plate will usually only be about .25" shorter than the whole opening, which means the gaps will be about .125" per end.

Don't ask me why, but flashing was never called for in that detail. (It was over steel angles, but not steel plates.) In fact, it would be VERY hard to flash that affair with all those connecting plates. Maybe that's why they didn't bother.

At any rate, if the warping is about every 16", that's my guess.

Terry are we gonna keep this avatar for a while, or do we need to get you some help?[:-dev3]

I'm way past help Tom. I saw redemption in my rearview mirror about 500 miles back that-a-way.

On a side note Iron Fireman was built here in Cleveland for a spell. I remember passing the factory, with my father, from time to time. It's a neat logo.

That'd be DeLuxe!

Thanks for the replies.

mgbinspect I think you've nailed it. I checked some additional photos and there appears to be connections at about 16" centers. (Bricks are 12"x4"). The lintels are also not bearing at the ends so it looks like they are hanging.

I appreciate your help. This site is great.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201111791352_DSC00139.jpg

61.86 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201111791446_DSC00069.jpg

62.72 KB