An Arch Too Far

hausdok

Kind of shook my head over this one. Nice home. The mason decided to use actual keystones in the brick veneer. As you can see in the photos, the arches over the windows are not that high but the one's over the overhead doors are ridiculously shallow. Still, our intrepid mason soldiered on.

I'm guessing that the Nisqually quake in 2001 jarred this loose.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201125114955_102_0204_00004.jpg

51.13 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201125115211_102_0204_00051.jpg

30.11 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201125115236_102_0204_00052.jpg

52.94 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201125115333_102_0204_00053.jpg

47.1 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201125115420_102_0204_00036.jpg

35.57 KB

Middle Crack

Click to Enlarge
tn_201125115438_102_0204_00037.jpg

41.28 KB

Larger view - middle crack

Click to Enlarge
tn_201125115539_102_0204_00035.jpg

41.95 KB

Left Corner

Click to Enlarge
tn_20112511562_102_0204_00038.jpg

34.97 KB

Right Corner

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Surely the masonry isn't load bearing. Is it?

There's no lintel above the garage door, and the arch wasn't severe enough to transfer the load.

Well, more my question is: the brick isn't actually bearing any of the weight of the roof framing - only its own weight. Right? I can't think of too many times that brick veneer doubled as a structural support.

The brick is only supporting it's own weight above the door and I'm certain that part of that weight is born by the wall ties. Nonetheless, if not for that piece of 5/4 that's been forced into a bend beneath the arch, I think this all would have fallen down by now.

I'm pretty certain the nisqually quake just sped up the process and that it would inevitably have occurred anyway. I found a nice racking crack over an archway between the family room and kitchen; and the wall of the laundry room, which abuts the garage, had been knocked out of plane far enough, and then bounced back, to leave several nice rows of nail pops and cracked seams between wallboard. Nope, not a car collison; just severe rumba-itis.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

So, there's no direct vertical support for at least three of the exterior walls of that room structure above the garage. Kind of unusual, isn't it? Any idea what they used for the garage ceiling/room floor joists? Were there central posts in the double garage space? Given everything else, I would be surprised if the brick veneer didn't crack, quake or not.

I wonder if it was originally designed/engineered to have three single door openings, but then someone decided they wanted a double. Or maybe the bonus room wasn't in the original plans?

Hi,

It's all original. There are very large beams with substantial posts in the garage carrying the weight of the room above and the roof structures that abut that are trusses. There really isn't any deflection along the top of the door; the brickwork just couldn't hold itself up because there isn't enough arc to let that keystone do what it's supposed to. I think you're right, the veneer would have failed sooner or later without the quake. Hell, for all I know it lasted fine through the Nisqually quake and failed later, but I don't think so, given the other shake damage I found.

A mystery; Animal scat of some sort found in the attic in about half a dozen places and it was obvious that whatever it was had been lying down in the insulation. The owners claim to have never had a cat and I couldn't find anyplace on the exterior that a racoon or 'possum could have gotten in there. Tweren't any rat or deer mouse unless it had been the size of a small dog. Hell, I've got a small dog; he's split himself in half creating something that large. Damndest thing I've seen in a while.

Hope whatever it was didn't tunnel under that loose fill and expire someplace. I took my mask off and sniffed around, I couldn't detect anything like the smell of a carcass.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I took my mask off and sniffed around, I couldn't detect anything like the smell of a carcass.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Did you shower that day.....(?).......animal carcass smell might not have been apparent.......just sayin'.....[:-angel]

That flat arch has to be buttressed by something more than a little veneer on either side of a door. Without buttressing, the outward thrust is going to push brick veneer around like nothing's there.

I bet that thing'd be cracking with or without a temblor.

A mystery; Animal scat of some sort found in the attic in about half a dozen places

I had something similar a couple of months ago. Never did figure out what it was or how they got in. This was the photo I put in the report...

Click to Enlarge
tn_201125175237_0082.jpg

37.21 KB

Like yours, no signs of rat or mouse droppings. I googled images for raccoon & possum droppings. I'm not sure you could tell them apart.

The size of the poop I saw would leave a squirrel with a very sore ass. It sounds like Mike's scat (not his, the critter's) would also rule out anything smaller than a possum. There is always the infamous Norwegian Roof Beaver, but I'm fairly sure those are mythical.

When we still had cats we would feed them on top of one of those carpeted cat towers in the basement. They had a cat door to the exterior and another to the main house. At one point, a possum figured out the exterior cat door and took up residence in the box section of the tower. Nasty, toothy things when you confront them!

A mystery; Animal scat of some sort found in the attic in about half a dozen places

I had something similar a couple of months ago. Never did figure out what it was or how they got in. This was the photo I put in the report...

Click to Enlarge
tn_201125175237_0082.jpg

37.21 KB

Like yours, no signs of rat or mouse droppings. I googled images for raccoon & possum droppings. I'm not sure you could tell them apart.

Possums are the sleepy ones. [:)]

We don't have possums on this island, yet. (we've got your grey squirrels and your cottontail rabbits, so porcupines and possums can't be far behind)

So I know when I see cat poop with no attempt to bury it, it is from the bowel of a coon.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011260830_coondrops.jpg

30.29 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011260922_coondrops2.jpg

45.02 KB

Squirrel droppings are small and roundish versions of rat drops, with a nutty flavor. [:)]