Trombone?

Chad Fabry

I would say that Joe nailed it in one. Or Bill. [;)]

Off topic, but it is relatively rare around here to see PVC used for DWV. ABS seems to be the material of choice by far. Is it a regional thing, and is there any good reason for one over the other?

It's purely a regional convention. I've had newby local inspectors proudly tell me that they flagged, as defective, an entire DWV system because it was made from PVC. "Can you believe the dumbass plumber on that one?" they'd say.

Alternatively, right here on this very site, we've had inspectors from other parts of the country flag ABS DWV systems because "ABS is defective and was banned years ago."

Inspectors are used to seeing what they're used to seeing. Anything else tends to be viewed as "wrong."

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Off topic, but it is relatively rare around here to see PVC used for DWV. ABS seems to be the material of choice by far. Is it a regional thing, and is there any good reason for one over the other?

It's purely a regional convention. I've had newby local inspectors proudly tell me that they flagged, as defective, an entire DWV system because it was made from PVC. "Can you believe the dumbass plumber on that one?" they'd say.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Hilarious. PVC is all I see in new stuff around here. Been that way forever. I'd probably wig out a little if I saw ABS in a new house just 'cause it's never done.

by Chad......"except for trailers."

umm...you mean manufactured homes?[;)]

Greg

'Trailers' is a more appropriate term for HUD Code homes. 'Manufactured Home' sounds too distinguished, too classy. No offense to trailer dwellers. I grew up in two of them (took the life of two of them to raise me).

Marc

Alternatively, right here on this very site, we've had inspectors from other parts of the country flag ABS DWV systems because "ABS is defective and was banned years ago."

Inspectors are used to seeing what they're used to seeing. Anything else tends to be viewed as "wrong."

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Never see anything except PVC here. Could it be that PVC is preferred under slabs?

I never give ABS any thought since I never see it except on mobile homes. Even then we switch to PVC as soon as it leaves the house.

Hi Michael,

The receptor is there to drain the irrigation system. I was talking about the three valve copper loop.

Thanks, shudda' realized - got sidetracked on the discussion of PVC vs ABS, focused on that portion of the pic, and was thinking you were comparing the receptor to the "bell" of a trombone.

In my area 70% of the houses are on private wells.

That plumbing configuration is vary common and we refer to it as a water softener bypass. It's intended for a water softener or a whole house filter.

If close the two side valves and open the center one you will isolate the appliance from the plumbing system so you can replace or repair it.

P.S. PVC has been the standard here since the early 1970's.