Cat I furnace vented through wall

inspectorreuben

Check out the B-vent manufacturer website. I'm pretty sure that portion that comes out of the wall and goes up must have a cleanout at the bottom of the elbow and has to be enclosed in a chase until it at least clears the roofline.

Might be wrong. If I am, someone here will climb all up in my face and embarrass me by my ignorance. That's OK, it's how we learn best here.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Check out the B-vent manufacturer website. I'm pretty sure that portion that comes out of the wall and goes up must have a cleanout at the bottom of the elbow and has to be enclosed in a chase until it at least clears the roofline.

Might be wrong. If I am, someone here will climb all up in my face and embarrass me by my ignorance. That's OK, it's how we learn best here.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I called this out as wrong in front of a group of 10 other home inspectors as part of a training seminar we were putting together, for the same reasons you just stated, but every other person there said this was perfectly fine. I just can't believe it.

If this was acceptable, why wouldn't furnaces be vented this way every time?

Go to the Duravent site:

http://www.duravent.com/docs/product/L204_Mar2011.pdf

On page 9 of the installation manual it states:

DuraVent does not recommend installation of B-Vent Pipe on the outside wall of a building, particularly in cold climates. If it is necessary to do this, enclose the outside portion of the system in a chase, as shown in Figure 11. Consult the Local Authority prior to construction. Note that the enclosure requires an access door for inspection and maintenance purposes.

It is accompanied by a drawing showing the vent enclosed in a chase with a cleanout.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Go to the Duravent site:

http://www.duravent.com/docs/product/L204_Mar2011.pdf

On page 9 of the installation manual it states:

DuraVent does not recommend installation of B-Vent Pipe on the outside wall of a building, particularly in cold climates. If it is necessary to do this, enclose the outside portion of the system in a chase, as shown in Figure 11. Consult the Local Authority prior to construction. Note that the enclosure requires an access door for inspection and maintenance purposes.

It is accompanied by a drawing showing the vent enclosed in a chase with a cleanout.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Thanks Mike.

Hi Ruben,

Were you leading the training as part of a home inspector school or a local chapter home inspector association?

I wasn't leading the training; I was just one of the more vocal participants in the group that was putting together the information for this seminar, which is sponsored by a local home inspector association.

We spend half a day taking photos of defects at a vacant house, then the house is made available to home inspectors for the next week to conduct their own inspections. In about a month we'll have a half-day seminar where a Powerpoint presentation shows all the stuff that we found, and everyone gets to argue about stuff. It's a great seminar; we always do one in the spring and one in the fall.

- Reuben

The white staining coming out of the elbow should be some argument that it's wrong.

Was it B vent or single wall? If single wall, the clearance @ the thimble would be unsatisfactory, in addition to everything else.

That's what I'm sayin. How 'bout the elbow? B vent.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011325201349_DSC00599.jpg

39.33 KB

Woof..........and folks were saying it's OK? Double woof.........

That thing runs water.

I've had a couple of these, I've had the same push back from the installer, I just point at the elbows; they're always rusted out.

I won't engage in tit for tat with morons; if they challenge me to prove it's wrong, I challenge them to prove it's OK to have rusted out vents.

So far, no takers.

Reuben..The Northern New England States ASHI group does that every year. The comments are excellent--Learn a lot about other HIs techniques, reasonings, and opinions. Sometimes it ends up in a shouting match. HIs are not created equal!!!

Trying to force a report from guys who use "different but equal" software is a real circus.

Still worth the time and money and much anticipated by this HI.[8D]

The white staining coming out of the elbow should be some argument that it's wrong.

Was it B vent or single wall? If single wall, the clearance @ the thimble would be unsatisfactory, in addition to everything else.

That's what I'm sayin. How 'bout the elbow? B vent.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011325201349_DSC00599.jpg

39.33 KB

Yeah, definitely a B vent and a real good illustration of why it should have a cleanout leg like the Duravent diagrams show. Did you find them OK?

Any inspector that would argue that vent is OK needs to get the hell out of the business, walk down to Burgerwopper and apply for a job where he's qualified.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I won't engage in tit for tat with morons; if they challenge me to prove it's wrong, I challenge them to prove it's OK to have rusted out vents.

So far, no takers.

I hear you. When it comes time for the seminar though, I'd like to have a good reference for everyone.

You're right though, the hole in the vent should be proof enough.

- Reuben

Reuben..The Northern New England States ASHI group does that every year. The comments are excellent--Learn a lot about other HIs techniques, reasonings, and opinions. Sometimes it ends up in a shouting match. HIs are not created equal!!!

Trying to force a report from guys who use "different but equal" software is a real circus.

Still worth the time and money and much anticipated by this HI.[8D]

This particular seminar is actually for Truth in Housing Evaluators; it's a point-of-sale inspection program that's mandated in Minneapolis, Saint Paul, and several other larger suburbs here in the Twin Cities.

Our reporting guidelines and the report formats are all identical, so it's a little easier to define what 'right' and 'wrong'.

I'd love to do a seminar like this for standard home inspections. I'll put one together soon enough.

This particular seminar is actually for Truth in Housing Evaluators; it's a point-of-sale inspection program that's mandated in Minneapolis, Saint Paul, and several other larger suburbs here in the Twin Cities.

Our reporting guidelines and the report formats are all identical, so it's a little easier to define what 'right' and 'wrong'.

I'd love to do a seminar like this for standard home inspections. I'll put one together soon enough.

Curious concept. Is a Home Inspection legally defined by the State of Minnesota?