This chimney was from the cottage I inspected today. The top 2-3 blocks were installed twisted and not in line with the rest of the stack. Looking from inside the fireplace the blocks are rounded on the inside so I wouldn’t imagine it matters the way the outside of the blocks are stacked as long as the inside is all in line. Without being able to see from the top of the chimney I don’t know for sure if it’s sealed correctly or not and wanted to get some more opinions.

The only label I found installed on the block was the one from this picture.

Thanks,

Kiel

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011330224250_IMGP0291.jpg

54.44 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201133022468_IMGP0298.jpg

39.12 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201133022487_IMGP0297.jpg

42.52 KB

No way the hole in the first skewed block can be in line with the lower ones, so there's a constriction there.

Wood-burning fireplace?

That's a real pain for the chimney sweep, eh?

Yes it’s a wood burning fireplace. There's a set of gas logs in there now.

I agree with you it looks restricted. I wish I could’ve accessed the cap and looked down it but it’s a pretty steep slate roof and it was raining today.

Thanks,

Kiel

No way the hole in the first skewed block can be in line with the lower ones, so there's a constriction there.

Wood-burning fireplace?

That's a real pain for the chimney sweep, eh?

Yes it’s a wood burning fireplace. There's a set of gas logs in there now.

I agree with you it looks restricted. I wish I could’ve accessed the cap and looked down it but it’s a pretty steep slate roof and it was raining today.

Thanks,

Kiel

For gas, they could drop in a metal liner, connected to a proper gas fireplace, problem solved.

Made in Denmark- If the hole in the block isn't centered in the block, then rotating the block would adjust the chase to allow one to adjust the location of the roof penetration. I have no proof of that but importing block from Denmark must be expensive and I bet they're special.

The stains on the block don't look like mortar, they look like an adhesive. The whole thing is probably some system that can be stacked and glued with an intumescent adhesive.

The above statement is wild speculation on my part. let me know what's going on after you research it for your client.

I didn't feel like waiting.

Here's what I found- read the manual

Chad,

Thanks! I read the manual cover to cover. I also checked out their website where there is more info. On the manual it states: Bends can be achieved using purpose made offset blocks. All offset blocks must be fully supported. It’s also requiring a 1.5â€

Found this Danish prefab fireplace system on the web, http://www.isokern.net. This could be what you were looking at, as the website does show the ability to offset the blocks.

After a short look at this site I think this is the system that’s in this cottage. There is even an office here in Charleston. The sticker from my picture is on a picture from the site. Thanks for all the info guys. I’m going to contact the Charleston office tomorrow and get this straight.

Thanks,

Kiel

My fathers career had the family living overseas at several times during my upbringing. One tour was 2 years in Denmark. I was age 13 through 15.

The Danes don't produce massive quanities of very much but you can be assured that if they're shipping their products out with "Made in Denamrk" on it, it's worthy stuff.

I don't doubt the quality of this chimney just the installation. After looking at both the Anki & Isokern chimney systems it looks like the offset blocks are installed wrong. I’m going to get in touch with Isokern tomorrow since they have an office here in town. Hopefully they can take a look at the picture and shed some more light on this. Again thanks for the help and comments.

• 4 weeks later...