Hardieboard

Brian G

I could swear I've seen something in the last few months about problems with Hardieboard siding. Is anyone aware of that, does anyone have a link about it, or can anyone tell me what the problems are supposed to be? Got one to do.

Brian G.

Hardie-Har-Har [:-slaphap

Based on comments posted here, I went ahead and sided my addition with it. Everything I read on TIJ was positive, unless I missed something. One post said they have had it on their home for 12 years w/out issue. Another post said they keep checking a piece stuck in the mud for failures. I think Chad said he has a plank in his pond as an experiment.

The only negative I have found is it looks bad over bowed framing.

I put it on my house in '92 or '93. Looks fine so far.

Occasionally a scrap or two shows up under a leaking gutter, sticking up out of the mud. Every now & then I gather up a few of these pieces, clean off the muck & run them through the dishwasher. They seem to be fine.

As Bill said, the stuff telegraphs whatever framing it under it. So if your framing planes are uneven, they'll still be uneven with the hardiplank on them.

Also, if you nail too close to the edge or corner of the stuff, it'll break.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I shot mine on with 1-3/4 stainless ring shank roof nails. During the installation of 3-1/2 units, only a few corners broke and most of those were my fault because my roofing nailer is so friggin sensitive that it's real easy to pop in two nails. After starting on the least conspicuous wall I learned to identify low studs and shimmed them to avoid the waviness. (my house is sheathed on the interior)

I'm quite happy with the look and am confident that it'll be durable.

For the life of me I can't recall where I saw that (or thought I did). After looking at the house I'm not worried. The builder did an excellent job on the siding; snug fit, painted and caulked like the crew was anal. Thanks for comments though gents.

Brian G.