PDF Converter

Hi all,

I'm in the process of setting up a new laptop for business. For those of you that use Word and then convert to PDF, which one of the free PDF converters do you like best?

The one on my current machine is a purchased one that I cant duplicate without contacting the vendor and all that.

If I can use a free program that works well, I'll just go that route.

The one on my current machine is a purchased one that I cant duplicate without contacting the vendor and all that.

If you purchased the program John why wouldn't you contact the vendor for the key? Do you want to use another program having already paid for one?

If you purchased the program John why wouldn't you contact the vendor for the key? Do you want to use another program having already paid for one?

I'm not sure yet but the previous purchase might be one user license and I'll have two computers running. Don't know if that will be an issue or not. Anyway, good functioning free software is worthy too, right?

So to answer your question Terry, I don't have a lock solid reason why I wouldn't contact the vendor. I'm just weighing other options.

I'm not sure yet but the previous purchase might be one user license and I'll have two computers running. Don't know if that will be an issue or not. Anyway, good functioning free software is worthy too, right?

So to answer your question Terry, I don't have a lock solid reason why I wouldn't contact the vendor. I'm just weighing other options.

Understood - I think.

With the number of pictures that I like to include in my reports, the choice of pdf converter I use is crucial. Every free converter that I've sampled leaves me with a pdf file size that easily double what I get from Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro. Even the pdf converter included with my 3d inspection software makes most reports too large to Email.

Marc

If you use Word 2007 or 2010, it includes a dandy PDF converter. It even addressed Marc's concern about file sizes making very compact files that retain good picture quality.

Actually, I just installed Word 2010. I did not realize it had built in PDF converter. I'll give it a try. I bet it has other things I don't realize as well.

My older comp is running Word 2002.

I've Word 2010 on a vista platform and an advanced search of normal.dot yielded this path:

C:\Users\Marc\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft

It's a hidden file. Only an advanced search will find it.

Observe the direction of the slash.

It's not in the same location as Word 2002. I've no idea if a 2002 format normal.dot will work on Word 2010.

Marc

I got it done. In 2002 its called normal.dot. In 2010 its called normal.dotm. I pasted the older version in but it did not work at first. I went back and removed the dotm file in 2010 and left the dot file in by itself and now all of my saved auto text entries are there and working well.

I'm now playing with the new styles options. Way better and way smoother than my clumsy old 2002 version. I'm gonna like this new setup. I bet the clumsy fumbling glitches on 2002 cost me an average of 30 mins on each report, seriously.

I've played with the PDF convertor. I think I'll stick with the larger file option. It keeps the pic res high for clear zooming. The smaller file option degraded the pictures too much for my preference. My smaller reports will go out averaging 1MB and the larger ones maybe 3MB. In my opinion, 3MB is not too big.

What other ways can 2010 Word help that 2002 couldn't?