Another furnace age question - old airco

normw

I ran into an Airco furnace yesterday, and from everything else I saw I called its age and it's old enough to be replaced, but I just can find any information from the serial number, it doesn't fit either Building Intelligence website's description, or TIJ's chart. The model number is AWBS-90D, and serial AI-4475. Can anyone help me confirm the age?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2011112515930_DSCN1509L.jpg

41.42 KB

According to Carson Dunlop's Technical Reference Guide:

If it was built in Vancouver:

If it was built before 1987, the first two numerals are the month and the second two the year. So yours would be the 44th month of 1975. Well, that doesn't make any sense, so . . .

If it was built after 1987, the first letter of the serial number is the year, with A=1987, B=1988, etc.

If, on the other hand, it was built in Tilbury, ON, then look for a long string of letters in the serial number. The third letter will indicate the year, A=1980, B=1981, etc.

So, if I had to guess from *only* the serial number, I'd say 1987. But I'd corroborate that guess by looking at the date stamp on the combination valve, and at whatever other key features I could find.

• 2 weeks later...

is there any problems with these aircos ? like cracked heat exchangers and such ? just wondering. I got one in my house actually, house thats built in the 1980s. IT still runs fine, just don't have enough cash to replace it. I do regular maintenance on it ie oil the blower and clean the return air side.

Although, the one in the picture seem more modernized, mine only has the gas valve, and the high limit switch and the connections directly to the blower. How Big of a unit is this one you inspected ?, mine is like the size of a door the height.

When the burners ignite, you can hear the whooop sound from across the house.

Hello Cableguy.

A gas tech told me that "Airco's are good". They actually built furnaces under licence to one of the big companies I can't be sure which one.

If the furnace goes 'Whoomp", it's a good bet it needs professional help. It might cost $100 for a house call? That's cheap insurance. Get an old furnace checked up, and that is the time to ask about corrosion on the heat exchanger.

If you have the unit that blows down into crawlspace ductwork, there might be less corrosion than if it blows up into attic ductwork. That is just a theory. Ask your gas furnace guy if he's noticed a difference.

On the other hand, if it's drawing return air from the laundry room, it might have more of a corrosion problem, not less.