heat pump thermostat

Jerry Lozier

2006 home yesterday, Goodman heat pump. Temp was high teens and snowing. Outside unit running in heat mode and putting out 70-80 degrees out of registers, and switched one time (that I saw) to defrost and all that seems to be working fine, nothing unusual.

Went to test aux / emerg heat on unit and thermostat does not have a mode for that. Probably seen a hundred HP's over the years,

Click to Enlarge
tn_201211512549_P1140035.jpg

35.04 KB

however have never seen a heat pump w/o a switch on thermostat for manually switching to aux heat.

Not common to me, think it is wrong thermostat.... I am sure it will switch automatically when temp is low enough which it frequently get sub zero in this area, but I couldn't check that.

How do you test or start aux heat or is it the wrong thermostat??????

Perhaps the owner changed it without knowing what he was doing. May not be hooked up correctly. Never seen a switched one like that without a marked em heat mode.

Though I've seen some of the digitals that don't have a readily visible em heat mode. Had to push a couple of buttons at the same time to get it to switch.

That thermostat is fine for a heat pump. But it was designed by dumbass morons. To engage the emergency heat, you put it in heat mode, then push and hold the "run" button until "E-on" appears in the display. To return to normal operation, you push and hold the "run" button again until "E-off" appears.

Really intuitive, isn't it?

Totaline (sp.) thermostats operate the same way. There's no emergency heat setting, but it switches over when the condenser times out.

As Erby said, there's some sort of keystroke method by which you can electronically switch to EM mode. But . . . I got one to switch once, but couldn't get it to go back to regular mode despite twenty minutes of messing with the thing. The instructions, by the way, are all on-line, but each thermostat operates differently--for some dumbass, moronic reason--so unless you have the model number, you're hosed.

That thermostat is fine for a heat pump. But it was designed by dumbass morons. To engage the emergency heat, you put it in heat mode, then push and hold the "run" button until "E-on" appears in the display. To return to normal operation, you push and hold the "run" button again until "E-off" appears.

Really intuitive, isn't it?

Thanks Jim... Always something to learn, however I will probably forget that before I see it again.

Thanks Jim... Always something to learn, however I will probably forget that before I see it again.

I think the take-away is that we're likely to see more and more "advanced" thermostats that have useless features that no one wants - including indecipherable controls. There's at least one out there that allows the user to define the functions of the various buttons for crying out loud.

Should have looked up the number before I spoke.

As it turns out this is a 'talking' thermostat. So why couldn't it just tell you what to do? LOL

What will they think of next?

Here in Maryland the ones I like are the BG&E energy saver stats. The utility is nice enough to turn your heat or cool off when THEY think its necessary. I always suggest replacing that thermostat with one the homeowner can program/control at their leisure.

I think the take-away is that we're likely to see more and more "advanced" thermostats that have useless features that no one wants - including indecipherable controls.

They're already happening, including wireless controls that allow programming from a smartphone.

I think the take-away is that we're likely to see more and more "advanced" thermostats that have useless features that no one wants - including indecipherable controls.

They're already happening, including wireless controls that allow programming from a smartphone.

Well, that's a useful feature - as long as the controls make sense. If, on the other hand, you have to press the # sign for 3 seconds and then press * twice, then enter the temperature that you want, it would be useless.

Well, that's a useful feature - as long as the controls make sense. If, on the other hand, you have to press the # sign for 3 seconds and then press * twice, then enter the temperature that you want, it would be useless.

"I was unable to test the operation of the thermostat because the seller's smartphone was "Unavailable. Please try again later"." [:)]

• 1 month later...