Sprayed Foam Attic #1

JEuriech

This past week, I did a one year warranty inspection on a house that had sprayed foam on the attic ceiling. I assume this is what everyone calls sprayed polyurethane foam. My next couple of posts will be about the same house and I'm hoping someone can help explain a couple of things for me.

The main house and garage area were separated by a wall. The garage area only has insulation on the wall between the two areas.

How can you tell by looking at the insulation, if it is open or closed cell? If I cut the insulation open, does one insulation have more or larger air (gas) bubbles? When we are talking about 1/2 lb or 2 lb insulation, how do you tell the difference?

Thanks,

Jeff Euriech

Peoria Arizona

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 1A SF 2.JPG

443.51 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 1A SF 8.JPG

687.85 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif 1A SF 14.JPG

694.3 KB

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Closed-cell foam has tiny foam cells that are closed and packed together. These holes are filled with a gas that helps the foam rise and help in insulation.

In Open-cell foam the tiny cells are not closely packed.

You can make out difference by pressing them. Open cell foam has softer felling than closed foam.

Sarah, the difference between open and closed cell foam is a threshold. If 89% of the cells are closed it's considered open cell foam, 90% and it is closed cell foam.

The gas is hydrogen and oxygen, the most common blowing agent in SPF is water.

The feel of the foam is a density issue, measured as the weight of the foam in pounds per cubic foot. With foam manufactured in place (like spray foam insulation) it is more reliable to make dense foam with a closed structure and light foam with an open structure, but they are not mutually exclusive.

Last night at about 1:30 am I locked out two different fellows that had come on here days, even weeks, registered and then left without posting. They came back, tried to post a couple of really stupid comments that made no sense whatsoever and then disappeared. At that point, I deleted their posts and locked their profile. I'm sure they'll be back but with your help we can prevent them from posting here.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike