AC - Need Some Dirty Coil Pics

Mike Lamb

Here's a dirty coil. I'm looking through old photos--that aren't at all organized--for my web site and can zap more to you as I find them.

I'm certain I have some frozen coils.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif DSC02612.JPG

926.83?KB

Thanks, Bain. That's great. I'm looking for the filth that can cause the coil to freeze.

Thanks, Garet, for your email.

Here's a couple of pictures of dirty, bent fins, frozen coils.

Jeff Euriech

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif AC 103.jpg

381.91 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif AC 104.jpg

355.74 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif AC 105.jpg

373.08 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif AC 89.JPG

194.23 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif AC 69.jpg

441.1 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif AC 70.jpg

430.14 KB

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif AC 53.jpg

402.37 KB

Reminds me of a job I was called out to in plattsmouth ne years ago on.

The local good ol boy had been out there a few times working on it before they called me.

So anyway I asked them what the problem was ? They told me no airflow out of the vents when running their ac in house trailer,other guy kept charging the condensor with r-22 but it still ran the same![:-taped][:-censore

So I checked the vents and found no airflow,so I walked over and checked the filter which was recently replaced and could here blower running.

Something told me to throw my gauges on the unit outside,my low side gauge was almost buried but the condensor was running and outside coil didnt look bad so I went back inside and pulled the A coil and lines out far enough to get access to underside of coil.

I was greeted by what could only be described as a wool blanket which proceeded to clean out and suddenly we had airflow! [:-party]

well then I went back outside and checked the condensor and gauges were still buried.

So I proceeded to remove what I seem to remember referring to as a chocalate foam milk shake load of freon from this poor overcharged condensor,I bet it was atleast 3-4 lbs over on this poor little unit! [:-taped]

After about an hour the place actually started cooling down!

Yes there are idiots among us! [:-weepn]

Here's the trip wire I look for on interior HVAC units. I can almost always get my camera in there.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20122383442_DirtyFan.jpg

59.91 KB

When I see that, the coil is almost always the same.

Click to Enlarge
tn_20122383534_DirtyCoil.jpg

27.86 KB

=================

The main blower fan blades are covered with crud which impedes the operating efficiency of the unit. This has also usually allowed dust to come in contact with the wet air conditioning coils. Wet plus dust equals mud on the coils equals coils being partially blocked. I can't see the coils to verify this though. Get the unit serviced and cleaned (to include removal and cleaning of both the fan and the coils).

=================

• 1 month later...