Identifying a metal roof

asihi

I have a job next week with a home that has a metal roof. The buyer said that it was a copper roof. When I asked him if it's possible that the roof may be steel with a copper colored coating, he said no. He was told it was copper. Can someone give me some tips on how to distinguish a copper roof from a steel roof with a copper coating?

I can't remember the last time I've seen a roof that wasn't wood or asphalt.

I did find a picture of the listing, but it's not that great of a shot.

Thanks for your help.

Tony

Click to Enlarge
tn_201251911370_metal%20roof.jpg

35.42 KB

Copper is a very soft metal - I would take a small pocket knife and scratch into a shingle (when no one is looking of course) I would think that if it is a copper coating it would scratch off and reveal what is underneath. Just an idea as I have neer seen a roof like the one in the picture. You might also ask the seller for any information / documantion they have. I would not be shy about telling my customer I have never seen a roof like this and am no expert.

It could be copper. That would be a good choice on a period home. It might also be zinc-coated aluminum with a baked on finish. Bring a small refrigerator magnet to see if it will stick. If it does, you'll know it's not copper, in which case you'll have to figure out whether it's copper or aluminum.

Get yourself a free subscription to Metal Roofing Magazine. Lots of good information about metal roofs in every issue.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Magnet. I see mostly steel roofing, even when it's coated to look like Al.

I brought my extension magnet up to check this roof, but you could tell from a distance it's not copper.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201251923156_roof2.jpg

78.25?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201251923222_roof1.jpg

38.32?KB

I picked up some views of real copper roofs about a month ago. The BC government bldgs, what we call the Parliament Bldgs, and the old Empress Hotel, Victoria, BC. The domes are definitely copper. I don't know about the large green roofs in the backyard of the Empress. They could be steel coated to look like tarnished copper.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012519231137_parliament.jpg

47.3?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201251923125_parliament2.jpg

36.38?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012519231223_empress.jpg

40.61?KB

Thanks everyone. I was skeptical when I was told it was copper roof. The house is located in a nice blue-collar town. A copper roof would have been a fortune and would have been way over done for this neighborhood.

I like the magnet idea. I'm going to give that a try. Thanks again.

Tony