Cabinet installation standards

Marc

A friend called me over and waited until I explained everything wrong with the kitchen cabinet remodel before finally telling me that it was the spouse who was silently painting nearby that had contracted with the cabinetmaker. He had a gripe with her over the choice of contractor and put me smack dab in the middle. That explained why she wasn't as social with me as usual.

I started this thread after getting the call but before the visit. The cabs were bad enough that I already have all the ammo I need. I just need a little body armor now.

Thanks anyway fellas.

Marc

Looks like this.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201272401742_A32.jpg

36.38?KB

The code "QJ" (at bottom center) on this one identifies the manufacturer of the cabinet as:

MC-2 (QJ)

Masco/Quality Cabinets

PO Box 1946, Adrian, MI USA

Phone: (517)263-0771

www.qualitycabinets.com

Code decipher at: http://www.kcma.org/index.cfm?fuseactio ... ode_Search

The label is usually on one of the doors under the kitchen sink but sometimes on a bathroom vanity cabinet door.

Where's MC-2 on the label? There's no QJ at KCMA. What am I reading wrong?

Also, does anyone have the citation regarding the need for escutcheons on plumbing stub outs?

Marc

Escutcheon, that would be a "trim ring" or "wall trim" so the plumber and the client would know what I meant. [:)]

Good question.

I've come to the conclusion that trim is superfluous, but could be wrong.

"Escutcheons are required" would probably ruffle some feathers around here and get my phone ringing.

Also, does anyone have the citation regarding the need for escutcheons on plumbing stub outs?

Marc

Escutcheon, that would be a "trim ring" or "wall trim" so the plumber and the client would know what I meant. [:)]

You need to be real careful of your use of "that" word around here.

You might find yourself ducking a fifteenth century dictionary at any second. [;)]

Marc

Escutcheons are cosmetic. Penetrations should be sealed at outside walls, though.

SECTION 315 PENETRATIONS

315.1 Sealing of annular spaces.

The annular space between the outside of a pipe and the inside of a pipe sleeve or between the outside of a pipe and an opening in a building envelope wall, floor, or ceiling assembly penetrated by a pipe shall be sealed in an approved manner with caulking material, foam sealant or closed with a gasketing system. The caulking material, foam sealant or gasketing system shall be designed for the conditions at the penetration location and shall be compatible with the pipe, sleeve and building materials in contact with the sealing materials. Annular spaces created by pipes penetrating fire-resistance-rated assemblies or membranes of such assemblies shall be sealed or closed in accordance with Section 713 of the International Building Code