iphone pitch guage

John Dirks Jr

For accuracy, shouldn't it be ON the shingles.

To some degree, not necessarily. The shingles don't always follow the same exact pitch considering the way they overlap each other. The trim under the edge is basically representing the pitch of the roof surface.

I also used an angle gauge on the shingles.

2:12 = 10% so less than 10% should not have asphalt shingles.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012923223456_P1290912.jpg

81.4?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012923223510_P1290914.jpg

45.11?KB

The one I have is Pitch Gauge 2.1 by Prolific Methods LLC

It also has a built in calculator for material estimates and the like.

Another cool feature is a camera function that shows the pitch reading in the frame. (gotta pay 99 cents for that version)

Don't bother trying to measure the angle of the photo in this post. The computer screen was tilted back so the angle represented is misleading.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2012923235739_pitchpic.jpg

41.61?KB

2:12 is 7.5 degrees. I don't know what your 10% (% is the percent sign) refers to. So looking at your angle gauge in the second post you have a 2:12 roof. If they're the right shingles with cement it is an appropriate use.

9.46 degrees

Arctangent (OPP/ADJ) = Arctan (2/12) = 9.46 degrees

Marc

Pardon the math. I can't help myself.

2:12 is 7.5 degrees. I don't know what your 10% (% is the percent sign) refers to. So looking at your angle gauge in the second post you have a 2:12 roof. If they're the right shingles with cement it is an appropriate use.

How do you figure that?

The scale on my pitch gauge doesn't say that. Here's the pic of it.

Download Attachment: icon_photo.gif P1290990.JPG

1289.8 KB

BTW, you are correct in pointing out that I used the wrong symbol to represent degrees.

However, 10 degrees is a heck of alot closer to 2:12 then 7.5 degrees is.

12:12 is a 45 degree angle, half of that is 6:12 (22 .5), etc. etc.

Point is, your protractor doesn't resolve to that accuracy (much less 9.46).

Eyeball works much better, and unless you can find something more substantial to condemn the roof covering you are splitting hairs.

I've been writing up this condition for 5 years. Dozens of times and I've never been challenged by anyone. I've had owners call their roofer while I was onsite. The roofer always responded with "I'll fix it".

Here's the building code that backs up the deficiency.

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ ... par020.htm

Thanks, guys. I'm convinced now I'll just stick to a straight edge and a tape.

Why? Because percentages and degrees are for eggheads who wouldn't dream of setting foot on a roof. Sorry, Marc, no offense intended there. [:)]

Rise in Run, the roofer will get it, no debate.

The app is cool, but I guess first step is to buy the phone ..... and my Motorola flip phone is still good.

John is right, 2 in 12 is the minimum for shingles and even then it makes for a pits poor roof.