Two Basins-Two Outlets?

Steven Hockstein

210.52(D): Within 3' of the outside edge of each basin.

If they are within 6' of each other, one receptacle can meet that requirement. That's how I read it.

Marc

That is also what it seemst to me but now I am wondering why most of the local electrical inspectors are requiring a separate outlet for each basin, not one shared in the middle. I was thinking there may be something else I am mssing in the code.

Jersey has adopted the 2011 version of the NEC. My version is the 2008. Maybe there's been a change since then.

Marc

Nah, the relevant line remains the same in 2008 and 2011...

(D) Bathrooms. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle

outlet shall be installed in bathrooms within 900 mm (3 ft)

of the outside edge of each basin.

I also read that as one being OK as long as it is within 3' of both sinks. I can see some interpreting that as one per basin but, if that was the intent, it would have been simple enough to use the words "per" or "for" somewhere in order to state it clearly.

Having said that, it does seem a bit El Cheapo to only have the one in Steven's photo, but that's builders for you. Marble counters sell houses, receptacles don't.

. . . Having said that, it does seem a bit El Cheapo to only have the one in Steven's photo, but that's builders for you. Marble counters sell houses, receptacles don't.

Oh yeah? Check out the photos from last week's new construction inspection. The wife didn't like the fact that she'd have to share one duplex receptacle with her husband and insisted on her own quad at the other end of the vanity.

The builder said, "yes, ma'am."

My impression is that's what everyone says to her.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201210822720_IMG_0915%20(Large).jpg

42.6?KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201210822733_IMG_0916%20(Large).jpg

36.97?KB

I believe each vanity should have its own 20 amp circuit with quad receptacles. If the master bath is built over a garage (as is common here) there should be a separate 20 amp circuit for a space heater because it will be needed. Any closet that is large enough to accommodate an ironing board should have a 20 amp dedicated circuit.

This is not what I always report; it is just what I believe based on experience. Thanks to every one for letting me get this off my chest.

I believe each vanity should have its own 20 amp circuit with quad receptacles. If the master bath is built over a garage (as is common here) there should be a separate 20 amp circuit for a space heater because it will be needed. Any closet that is large enough to accommodate an ironing board should have a 20 amp dedicated circuit.

This is not what I always report; it is just what I believe based on experience. Thanks to every one for letting me get this off my chest.

I believe a baseboard heater or a wall mounted fan heater would be even better than a plugged-in space heater. In my area, which is cold and wet, we expect to see a heat source in a bathroom. With the gizmos and air fresheners people use in their bathrooms, I think you're right. One duplex receptacle won't be enough as a rule.

Morgan, check the spelling in your tagline, you're missing the 'n' in 'Engineering'.

I believe a baseboard heater or a wall mounted fan heater would be even better than a plugged-in space heater. In my area, which is cold and wet, we expect to see a heat source in a bathroom. With the gizmos and air fresheners people use in their bathrooms, I think you're right. One duplex receptacle won't be enough as a rule.

Morgan, check the spelling in your tagline, you're missing the 'n' in 'Engineering'.

Thaks Joh.

What a mess. Builder must have been angry. Put in a tight new duplex and the first time a plug is pulled, the box and both duplex will all come out.

Marc

The contractor used to correct type of box for the outlet. That's a remodel/old work box. It has wings that turn and tighten against the back back side of the wall. The silver screws in the 2 corners of the box - as you tighten them the wings rotate to the right and stop at a 90 degree angle to the box.

Trust me if that box pulls out there will be a huge hole in the wall

The hole that was cut in the wall was cut to the correct size. The mess is where the tile was removed