Parrot AR.Drone 2.0

Marc

Bought one last Friday with the intention of using it for roof inspections that are too steep/high to be safe.

Bringing it back to the store today.

Cons

1) Navigation is to imprecise to get it into position to examine and take a photo although if you can, the photo quality seems adequate.

2) If you get out of range, it drops, no matter where it is. Over an inaccessible roof, over a building, anywhere, it just drops.

3) If you hit something, it cancels flight and, again, just drops without warning.

4) Programming automatically counters the effects of wind when it's hovering but still gets blown around. When you switch hover-mode off to navigate it, the auto-countering switches off. It's entirely manual from there and nearly impossible to control if there's even a small wind.

Nice toy but navigation/control is too imprecise for HI work.

Training cost me two breaks in the foam accessory that's used to stabilize the craft and protect the blades. I'll have to pay for a new one for sure.

Marc

Thinking of giving it to my neighbor who'll love it.

Oh stop. Keep it and mess with the neighbor's dog/cat/wife/whatever.

Fly it in the yard everyday while mumbling "I have to make these bombs lighter." or "wait'll they see what happens if xxxxxxx wins the election."

There's a lot of fun packaged in that toy- go play.

I didn' t think you were going to have much luck getting close to a roof with that. When I went through ground school years ago I learned that one doesn't fly close in on the leeward side of mountains because the air currents there are unpredictably dangerous. As the wind passes over the top of the mountain it tumbles and curles downward and inward. How much depends on the speed of the wind. Now put a tiny little craft on the leeward side of a roof, trying to get close enough to take a picture and what do you suppose is going to happen?

People see a photo of a helicopter hovering off the side of a mountain, even picking folks up and they think it's easy for the experienced pilot. It's actually his worst nightmare, very very difficult and the most dangerous thing he can try to do.

Was there a live video feed with that thing so you can line it up on a defect; or are you expected to start a video or something and then hope that you catch the thing you want to catch in frame?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

By "live feed" do you mean that you are seeing stuff on your iphone at the same time the camera in the little gizmocopter sees it? Sorry, I'm not very well versed in gizmoeze.

I've been trying to find a way of following an inspector and communicating with him while he's in crawlspaces and attics. I think it would be ideal for training someone to be able to see what they see, when they see it, and to be able to communicate with them real time. Last year when I was convelesciing I called at least a dozen companies and couldn't find anyone making anything like that. Maybe times have changed.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

By "live feed" do you mean that you are seeing stuff on your iphone at the same time the camera in the little gizmocopter sees it? Sorry, I'm not very well versed in gizmoeze.

I've been trying to find a way of following an inspector and communicating with him while he's in crawlspaces and attics. I think it would be ideal for training someone to be able to see what they see, when they see it, and to be able to communicate with them real time. Last year when I was convelesciing I called at least a dozen companies and couldn't find anyone making anything like that. Maybe times have changed.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Yes. Once it's airborne, it's driven by looking at your android so you can see through the camera.

You'd need an awful high crawlspace, at least 5', for it to work or it'll be banging into everything. The battery is good for less than 2 minutes of flight. Charges in an hour or so.

Marc

You misunderstand. I was looking for a camera that an inspector could wear while doing an inspection. Maybe aon a head band or something. One where he could communicate with another inspector or even talk to the client as the client watched him do the inspection on a monitor somewhere else. That way, clients would get a better understanding of what's going on under the home and a senior inspector could guide a new inspector through the process.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

You misunderstand. I was looking for a camera that an inspector could wear while doing an inspection. Maybe aon a head band or something. One where he could communicate with another inspector or even talk to the client as the client watched him do the inspection on a monitor somewhere else. That way, clients would get a better understanding of what's going on under the home and a senior inspector could guide a new inspector through the process.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Ok. Well, my Parrot is wearing such a camera so the technology is there.

Maybe when one of the motors goes out, I'll send this thing to you and you can find a way to strap the camera to a headband. Range is 200' or so they say. Camera is very small/light. Should run long since the motors no longer draw on the battery. It's an 8 amp battery, 12 Volt.

All you need is an android phone or pad. The app download is free. It tells you how much charge is left on the camera battery. The toy has a few fine points.

Marc

• 1 year later...

I went to the site also and there is indeed a broken contact page. But The phone number is good. A told the rep about the link. Anyway, in case you want to contact them, his name is Mike Slawinski and his email is mikeslawinski@yahoo.com.

They are located in Atlanta.

Email administrator reports that Email address as 'invalid recipient'.

I'll have someone call.

Marc

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

http://gopro.com/products?gclid=CNOBu-G ... MwodxGYA-Q

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

http://gopro.com/products?gclid=CNOBu-G ... MwodxGYA-Q

You misunderstand. I was looking for a camera that an inspector could wear while doing an inspection. Maybe on a head band or something. One where he could communicate with another inspector or even talk to the client as the client watched him do the inspection on a monitor somewhere else. That way, clients would get a better understanding of what's going on under the home and a senior inspector could guide a new inspector through the process.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

A helmet camera, no problem. Then you will need a 12-year-old kid that will work cheap to wear it and go fetch the info, while you sit in the shade and monitor his progress. [:)]

Mike, your comment about flying the lee side of a ridge is right on.