question please

concerned

found this website while trying to do some research on internet maybe someone out there can answer

I am watching construction workers work on my elderly neighbors house we recently in our area ( Western PA, Allegheny

county ) had a severe storm with much hail damage to the area , we all had aluminum siding damage and most homes are replacing that now with vinyl siding , my question is under my new siding was placed a house wrap before the siding was put up , BUT seeing on my neighbor's house they pulled off the old siding and the silver paper ( sorry dont know the technical terminology) came off with it . they are putting back up vinyl siding with no type of house wrap underneath it , these are old homes ( probably close to hundred years old since they were built originally) My question is , IS house wrap required under the vinyl siding by code regulations , installation recommendations ? I just dont want this senior to get ripped off and have to face future damage by not having the work completed correctly as every other house i have seen being repaired since the storm with new siding is wrapped underneath the new vinyl siding

Can you describe what is directly under the vinyl that is going up. Is it exposed wood? A material that looks like an old wool blanket? another type of siding (perhaps wood)? A picture or two would be great and get you will get a better answer.

By the way it is nice of you to look after you elderly neighbor.

If you want to know how it's supposed to be done, take a look at this Installation Guide and suggest to your neighbor that they have someone with a copy of it in their back pocket watch the contractor and make sure he does it right.

Or you could do it yourself.

FYI: It has 140 pages but you don't have to read every one.

Marc

I'd agree with that as long as it's their product. He might want to check for one of the boxes and confirm who's it is and the line.

Might as well be bullet proof if he's going to challenge them.

It's dark out. Go check it out, Concerned.

thanks for the quick replies this gal had no idea where to start on checking on this , but dont want to see seniors getting ripped off

I did get a few pics , and the box of siding says Mastic as the company I can see from my inexperienced eyes that the new siding framing being put around the windows have gaps around window and the finished areas around the window looks like crap ( think my contractor called it "recladding" the window or something like that when he did mine)

24wd6wl.jpg

2drvypd.jpg

mheu5k.jpg

It looks OK.

The old asphalt siding is a good moisture barrier if not damaged. There is probably asphalt paper behind that. A fan board is installed under the vinyl often to give some flatness and a little insulation but it's nothing to get crazy about.

The vinyl siding is cosmetic. It's OK.

Insul-Brick, for all it's tastelessness, works amazingly well. It's a moisture barrier that breathes. And, that old Insul-Brick is usually installed over old growth clapboards or lap siding. So, they've probably got 3 layers, breathable. It's probably OK.

You're a good neighbor.

Gentlemen , thank you very much for responding to this question, sure makes me feel better knowing she is not being taken over the coals . I will not even mention it to her as I didn't / dont want to scare her or make her worry about something that is not necessary . Once this storm hit we were bombbarded by contractors ( not all locals )who seem to move in and prey on the elderly and contract with them faster then they could say let me think about it using scare tatics about how much damage could be done by waiting to get the work done

I appreciate the fact that you all took the time to answer a question from someone that really has no experience and lack of correct terminology on this type of work . THANK YOU !