Cross Connections

Scorp100

Yes. Reverse Osmosis. We see these a lot in my area due to the bad tasting city water we have. Although we do not inspect the R/O units, we do need to report on cross connections. Some R/O units use 4 gallons of water to make one gallon of purified "R/O" water. The wasted water must be drained off. Typically this involves placing a saddle clamp on the kitchen sink's drain line.

I'm asking any Plumbing experts out there "what is allowed and what is not allowed in this application"?

i.e. I've seen the R/O drain line installed down stream from the P-Trap, which I feel is a cross connection. Yes, No?

Dave,

Most of the RO systems that I see have an air gap built into the faucet/handle combination. Depending on which way the assembly is turned, you can see the drain water dropping through the air gap. I will normally run some RO water for about 30 seconds and the pressure in the system will start to drop. A valve will then switch on the unit allowing make up water to go to the membrane and drain water to occur. You can normally hear the water dropping through the air gap at the faucet.

Some of the older units do not have a built in air gap in the faucet. They will instead have a flow control/check valve located on the drain line to prevent a backward flow from the drain to the RO membrane. The ones I see are small plastic valves with an arrow on them showing direction of flow. Maybe 2" long and 3/4" in diameter. These are normally hidden behind junk. You have to look for them.

I hope this helps,

Jeff Euriech

Peoria, AZ

Thanks Brian. I'm the new kid (senior citizen) on the Northwest side of Phoenix. I am slowly increasing my business and hopefully will make money at this one of these days.

One of my goals for the next year is to more actively participate on the different message boards. So you will probably see more of me in the future. Hopefully you will not laugh too hard at some of the questions that I may ask. I guess time will tell...

Jeff Euriech

Peoria, AZ

Originally posted by JEuriech

One of my goals for the next year is to more actively participate on the different message boards.

I'm sure you'll find it to be a great education, as I have, at a cost that's hard to beat.

So you will probably see more of me in the future. Hopefully you will not laugh too hard at some of the questions that I may ask. I guess time will tell...

I've always believed the learning curve is steeper for those who participate, be it online or in person. Ignore the part of you that says "Don't ask that, you'll sound dumb". Having free access to this wealth of knowledge and experience and not asking is dumb.

Brian G.

Heavy Duty Participator [:-graduat

Originally posted by swarga

I don't want to post it here, some poet/wooden water heater pan maker may write it on a bathroom wall.

"Love puppy seeks dominate male big-dog. For a good time call Scott at 1-800-SPANK-ME" [:-doggy]

Brian G.

Perish the Thought That I Would Do Such a Thing [:-dev3][:D][:-dev3]

Originally posted by swarga

Jeff,

Feel free to contact me anytime you have a question. E-mail me and I'll give you my cell #.

I don't want to post it here, some poet/wooden water heater pan maker may write it on a bathroom wall.[:-banghea

Jeff,

I'd also be happy to help, if I can. I do a lot of work in Peoria, but there's plenty to go around. I'm not as smart as Scott, but I'm much prettier!

Jeff,

I didn't know anything until I started watching this board. Now, not only do I know how to build a wuden drane pan, I can spell it two. BTW Brian you could have used a ceramic roll-on sealer to water proof that thing just in case you actually need to use it. Of course then it would be pink...

All kidding aside Jeff, I have to say these guys are the best and most helpful group of HI's you could ever talk to. They are not afraid to ask questions and never give anyone a hard time for asking really silly questions (of which I'm guilty).

Welcome aboard!

Mike