Realtor Calls Inspections Deal Breakers

hausdok

• 6 months later...

I don't think that the agent is so far off base. Around here buyers too often use the report for "demanding" repairs to even the most trivial conditions. Inspectors tend to be merciless in their reporting by over-reacting and trying to cover their butts. What is often lost in the inspection process is a reasonable perspective of the conditions found. In my personal view, I have a legal and moral obligation to my client but at the same time I want to be fair to the seller. For those that think the inspector's job is to go in with both barrels blasting there will be strong disagreement with this.

Eric,

I wholeheartedly agree with you. As a home inspector, I always, always tell my clients that not everything on the report is commonly a "seller repair item" and that they need to look at the home as what it is... If its a 25 year old home, then there are going to be things on the report that are there for the client to be aware of, but its not always a "must have the seller fix" item.

Think about buying a used car. Just because the tires are 50% worn and the blinker lens has a crack in it doesn't automatically make the seller responsible to repair or update them.

Andrew Constantine

http://InspectProHomeInspections.com

I often tell clients that it's not a matter of minor, major, or maintenance it's a fact of if I see it and it needs repair or attention of some sort then I have to report it. It is entirely up to them what they want to ask the seller to do - or not. Some are only looking for major items but I have to advise that a lot of less major repair and maintenance can quickly add up to a bunch of dollars.